engine cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrissa
My Cars:

engine cutting out

Post by chrissa »

Hi guys,

been reading posts on your superb site for many months, just become a member and would appreciate help. My 1.8i 16 valve Xantia petrol, 2001 model has recently started giving me trouble. The engine will suddenly stop, causing real difficulties, ie no power steering especially when going round a roundabout! I have noticed no pattern to this failure other than it seems to happen mostly after breaking to slow down for junctions etc.
Engine will restart no problem afterward and continue no problem till next event which could be days /weeks in future

Regards, Chrissa.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Most probably the throttle stepper motor. They tend to fail and cause that kind of failure.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its very unlikely to be the stepper motor.
The stepper motor will usually cause the engine revs to become unstable - ghosting around like the engine has got its life of its own.

A sudden death of the engine - and then an easy troublefree restart instantly after - is more like a dangling loose electric connection somewhere on the ignition system.
Could also be a sudden fuel starvation problem caused by an electric component with intermittent failure or connection.

You will have to investigate further - i.e. do a visual/manual control of all the engine electric connections you can see. Sounds tedious - but your garage will have to do the same - except they usually charge you up to £40 + vat - every hour they are on the job.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

:mrgreen:

Used to have that with my old bomb, the engine stalling after braking, especially after having coasted downhill.
It was vacuum leaks around the inlet manifold.
Try squirting WD40 around the manifold hoses and gasket with the engine idling, and if the idle speed increases somewhere, it means leak because that’s where it sucks the WD40 in.
There is also this story of MAP sensor:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33660
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
chrissa
My Cars:

engine cutting out

Post by chrissa »

many thanks to all those who contributed to my plea for help, and for the
swift response to my problems

i have plenty to keep me busy now. will let you know how i progress!

regards chrissa