hole near cat.conv query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

hole near cat.conv query

Post by deian »

Hi again people,

further to my recent post about a noisy turbo, i've worked it out, it's lack of backpressure due to a hole in my exhaust.... guess where.... yes u got it, a crack/flaking all round just before the pipe flares up towards the catalytic converter. Damn I say. I'm hoping I can get my friendly exhaust guy to patch it up in some way temporarily until i can afford the catalytic converter which are quite expensive yea (how much?)

So this temporary job i'm hoping for, is it possible? Maybe I could ask them to weld a plate around the hole (all around the flare :?), or paste with one of the cheap repair bandages?

Anyone know of any tricks? Any cheap places on the net to get a catalytic converter.

I've had a look and there is a clamp just after the turbo up behing the engine, seems not a bad job, but i've also heard that the engine has to come out for work further up, and i hope changing this cat doesn't need the engine out.

Thanks again.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Why replace the Cat?? I understand that it isn't required for the MOT and that you can get a piece of pipe straight into the intermediate box.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
deian

Post by deian »

but i will need a cat before the mot then? it buys me time though, i wonder if the exhuast people will weld me a pipe instead of a cat for the time being

what are the consquence of running a 2.1td without a cat then?
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i'm sure you can just remove the cat and replace it with a normal pipe, i know of a few people who have done this and not had any problems with the m.o.t :)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Aye, I would agree that you dont need the CAT....never had trouble with people and their CAT's
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the MOT computer says it needs a cat it wont go through without,unless your mot guy has some way to fidlle the system,i know the exhaust shop i send my customers to have a selection of repair flandges and they will weld it if they can
regards malcolm
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the cat is OK leave it alone. Just patch the hole. It is a simple job.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
deian

Post by deian »

well the hole is all around where it flares up to the cat.conv you see, it isn't that straightforward, the cat.conv is a one piece from the manifold connection and then finishes going into the middle silencer.

If I can patch it up I will, but I will ask for advice from the exhaust guy, he may give me a quick fix in the form of a pipe in return for me buying a cat from him later.... before the mot, i understand that all cars from K reg onwards that came with a cat will need to have a cat on to pass mot, unless the mot guy doesn't know this.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Could you post a picture of the hole? It would be easier to tell you if its repairable or not :)
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when the mot guy puts the cars details into the ministerys computer it tells him what type of emmision test to carry out
regards malcolm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

If it's a diesel then it isn't required to have a cat!!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
deian

Post by deian »

ISN'T? so i'll go for the straight pipe yea, i misread that at first, and thought you said it IS required to have a cat, my heart stopped, now all is ok!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

f00lzz wrote:If it's a diesel then it isn't required to have a cat!!!

Agreed!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry that was my fault as i did think about whether its diesel or petrol,this is quite right diesels do not have to have a cat as yet even if they are a dog
regards malcolm
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

My cat is leaking in the exact place that Deian's is. I know that the back boxes and front pipes are the same on a 2.1TD and a 1.9TD ( some have a middle box but they are still interchangeable ) but are the cats the same. If so can you fit a 1.9TD front pipe onto a 2.1TD and do away with the cat easily. If not it will be a case of removing cat from car, copping pipe of at both sides of the cat and welding in a pipe of the correct length and diameter.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless