Just curious!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2.1td
My Cars:

Just curious!

Post by 2.1td »

:) When accelerating, my 2.1td Xantia engine makes a noise like it's clearing it's throat! Doesn't always do it. The car runs beautifully and has made this noise since I bought it 3 years ago. Any ideas anyone? Turbo related? Fabulous car by the way.
deian

Post by deian »

clearing it's throat?

i THINK i may know what you are on about, it's like something resonating somewhere for a second or so....
does it happen when you accelerate in the lower gears (1,2 or 3) and then come off the throttle ( just enough as not to put load on the engine) it makes this noise before the engine decelerates (engine slowing down)?

if so let me know
2.1td
My Cars:

Just curious?

Post by 2.1td »

Yes, I think that describes it pretty well. What do you reckon?
deian

Post by deian »

I'm guessing a tiny hole in the exhaust somewhere, it upsets the resonation of the sound hence the noise you hear, of course that is just my theory, i've recently found a small hole near my catalytic converter too (see noisy turbo post).

Failing that theory, baffles in silencers can cause unusual noises related to engine breathing (out in this case), and i'm guessing the middle silences after the catalytic converter since the rear silencer would be more obvious and rattly.

So my suggestions would be to check your exhaust.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you gently attack the exhaust system with a mallet, you should be able to hear anything loose inside it. But dont hit the catilytic converter or you will likely break it!
deian

Post by deian »

I got my exhaust fixed and it's still there, it may be something else totally, but I'm thinking now something to do with the EGR valve maybe?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the noise sounds approx the same as pulling in a vibrating scale over the edge of a table, then I've got the same noise from my BX17TD. Ever since I got it last summer. This engine now has 430Kkm/268Kmiles on the clock.
Have not yet found the problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

yea, it's like a little groan more than a cough, i think nothing of it really.
2.1td
My Cars:

Crikey Anders!

Post by 2.1td »

Crikey Anders, your BX has certainly piled on the miles! Even though '93 was the last year (L reg' estates?) BXs were sold I still see quite a few soldiering on with big mileages. My brother has a really tidy '93 Xantia 1.9TD VSX which has done 206,000 miles on the same engine and box. Testament to just how good these cars are... IF they are well maintained! I am convinced that the vast majority of perceived problems with these fabulous Citroens are down to either owners just not bothering to do anything to the car until something goes wrong (and then moaning!) or getting someone who hasn't a clue what they are doing to tinker with their car. Surely this applies to any car not just Citroens?
Be careful!
deian

Post by deian »

my car has done 192k, and from what i see, everything is original even the spheres! Of course the fluids and consumables such as tyres were changed.