MP3 Connection for Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David Baars
My Cars:

MP3 Connection for Picasso

Post by David Baars »

We own a Citroen Picasso and would love to interface an MP3 player to it

The Picasso radio has a facility for a CD changer in the boot which means there must be audio leads from the boot to an input on the rear of the radio, selected by pressing the changer button. So why can I not find information on how to interface to it? All I want is to add a 3mm jack socket on the facia somewhere.

Has this subject been aired before? No search of the site picks it up. I can find plenty of I-Pod adapters at over £100, but I do not have an I-Pod (nor want one) and this cost includes controls for the I-Pod from the steering wheel buttons.

Can anyone help?
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

David,

If you have a Cassette Radio in your Picasso you can play your MP3 via the cassette player. Just buy the adaptor from Argos or similar, plug the jack into your MP3 and the cassette into the cassette player. Just check the head configuration of the adaptor cassette, some seem to be mono only.
You can also route a portable DVD through your sound system.

HTH

Gammy
p20

Post by p20 »

Have a look Here. Its not strictly legal (something to do with broadcasting rights), but lets your mp3 broadcast an FM signal. Simply tune your radio to it. :wink:
307SW HDi 110
David Baars
My Cars:

Post by David Baars »

Thanks to both.

We have an SX with CD player (and an older version which does not play CD-RW), so the cassette adaptor I'm afraid is a non-starter. Actually I have one of these which I use in my Kangoo van and the result is hissier (sic!) than any cassette.

I also have an FM transmitter (which I never use of course). But if I did I suspect the result would also be very "hissy". We are off on a trip to the south of France in a few weeks and I think that listening to the result for a good number of hours would be quite wearing.

What we listen to is not music, I would have no problems using CDs because you listen to them over and over. I record plays, comedies and plays from the radio and once listened to the CD is thrown away - quite a waste.
Thanks DB
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Does your cd player accept MP3 cd's ???

You can get about 250 tracks on a single cd disc, I did this when I had the Honda Civic, but this crappy fiesta doesnt accept them so im back to standard wma cds
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
David Baars
My Cars:

Post by David Baars »

No, the CD player does not play MP3 CDs. Nor does it play CD-Rs.
And worse still it is playing up and starts skipping when it begins to reach the edge of the CD, or after about 3/4 hour's worth of track.
My CDs tend to have 2 tracks of 30 mins on them (2 serials or comedies).
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

You can get mp3 player -> cd changer adaptors, but they're only available for ipods. The good thing about them is that you can retain your steering wheel controls.

You've ruled out the cassette adaptor and the FM transmitter, so your options are limited.

Your choices would be:
  • 1. mp3 CD head unit
    2. cheap ipod and cd changer adaptor
ImageImage
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Or a new car :wink:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
john stenhouse
My Cars:

Post by john stenhouse »

Oh the joys of older cars, the 97 Activa I have has a 3.5mm socket on the front for CD into which I plug my MP3 player. Simple
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

same for me John.. I have fitted the older Xantia unit in mine for this reason.

Dave, there was some postings on this a while ago.. I really cant remember what the concensus was.. I wanted to do the same as you, i.e. 'tap-in' to the cd changer wiring.

buy a used Sony unit, this will have MP3 access from front via jack, and work with steering wheel controls. (subject to an audioline etc connector)

For the Xantia its a DX300 or higher, form memory.

the other good thing about front access ;) is that you could plug a DVD player's audio into it... if you want to hear monty python blasted all round the car that is ;)

John G
David Baars
My Cars:

Post by David Baars »

John
Thanks for yourcomments, I have reached much the same solution.
A second hand Sony would be an ideal solution.
Cheers to all that have replied
And I had a look in the Haynes manual at the wiring diagram. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard!!
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

i bought a head unit with cd disk changer plug on the back it also came with a module box so i can plug my ipod in directly. It works well with all the playlists / song names etc comming up on the head unit screen.

if you have a cd changer input as previously mentioned you could do the same but you will need to check that you head unit has two pre - out plugs on the back as the ipod module box will need to plug into those

its also got an 800w amp (very imature i know) with a decent set of speakers so you can feel the music as much as you can hear it!! :twisted: :twisted:

hope that makes sense!!!!
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Have you pulled out the cd player to have look on the back? A lot of cd players/tapes used to have two phono jacks on the back for left and right channels - you can get a phono to 3.5mm lead and wangle it through to the passenger footwell- job done. All depends on wether or not the Citroen cd player has any phono connections on the back...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=S ... leNo=48366

You can get longer ones than this obviously...

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!