Gear box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Gear box

Post by johninderbyshire »

Would you believe it but my gearbox has gone at only 86000 miles.

I have been told by citroen that it is a cf13 box. Does anyone know what and if it has been put in any other cars? Mine is a xsara 2001 facelift model 1.4 petrol.
I am trying to source one from a scrapyard as i am just going to get rid of it now.
John

ps citroen want £2396 for a new one!!!!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

:cry:

What's up with it? Unusual for Cit boxes to give trouble, and even then they usually give lots of warning.

You should have no trouble getting one from a scrappers for not too much cash - possibly also used on the 306/307. There are lots listed for different dates / cars, so you'll need to specift carefully to the breakers. Try one of the online breakers that sends messages out to lots of breakers. Alternatively if you want shot, just stick it on ebay as is!

£2.5k looks a bit of red herring to me, - even Citroen do an exchange one for half that!
Richard W
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

New gearboxes would never come as bargains. And only Citroen/Peugeot stocks the gearbox you need. The pricetag is no wonder then :(

The CF13 type gearbox is a variant of the MA series gearboxes used on all TU3 engines (1.4L Cit/Peug engines).
I would be surprised if you cant find a warranted unit from a breakers at VERY reasonable cost. Most professional breakers even have a fitting service.

If you cant do it DIY - you have no other options than digging hard in your wallet - thats life owning ANY car :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I wouldn't take their word for it! It would be unusual for a gearbox to have 'just gone'. Tell us the symptons/what happened etc
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Symptoms

Here we go with the symptoms!

There is a grinding/whirring/growling noise only on the overrun and only in 2nd 3rd 4th 5th.

No noise when accelerating and noise completely disappears as soon as clutch is pressed down.

Noise is faster in 3rd than 2nd, at same road speed.

First occured after a steady, steep uphill section of dual carriageway when I released the throttle.

The noise is not intermittent.
boroboy

Re: Gear box

Post by boroboy »

johninderbyshire,
Have you tried some Moly Slip in you gearbox first? I own a 99 1.4 Xsara, with a slightly notchy gearbox, put some Moly Slip in & has helped a little.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On these symptoms my first bet would be on the clutch release bearing.

But this one is really weird :
"Noise is faster in 3rd than 2nd, at same road speed"

Does this actually mean that - at lower engine revs and at same road speed - the noise appears as "something turning faster" ?
Nothing is turning faster from 2.nd to 3.rd in the drivetrain under the given conditions - actually engine, gearbox input axle, clutch and realease bearing are turning slower. The gearbox output axle, differential, driveaxles and wheels are turning the same speed in both 2.nd & 3.rd gear - if the road speed is kept the same.

Or did you make a typo :wink:

BTW : you or the garage checked gearbox oil level ?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Doesn't sound like a 'new gearbox' scenario to me... Clutch Release Bearing perhaps... certainly worth taking to another garage with 'no axe to grind' so to speak!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Going to try the molyslip tomorrow, and then i will have a look at the clutch release bearing at the weekend. Will let you know how i get on.
john
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its doing it in low gears but not in top, it sounds like the first motion shaft bearing, as there is no 'sideways' thrust on it in top gear (or maybe that's fourth) or it could be a layshaft bearing. I wouldn't think it would cost anything like you have been quoted to have it repaired.
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

johninderbyshire,
Keep me posted. Good luck, I'm putting my money on a gearbox prob.
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

ok, stupid question, but where do you put this molyslip into the gearbox? Never really messed with gearboxes.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No questions are stupid here 8)

On top of the gearbox you will find the reverse lights control switch. Would be the only electrical device on the gearbox itself. Unscrew switch, observe any washer, and use hole for filling.

I'm unsure if this generation MA g/b has the filler/level block on the end housing inside the LHS wheelarch.
If it does have the plug - this would clearly be a flathead 19mm bolt with a washer under the head. Alternately it would be a square/hex/torx drive insert bolthead. You cant miss it if its fitted.
You fill/top up here until the oil just exactly starts dripping/flowing back out - and the level is then correct.
I'd say you should at least check the level with the symptom you have.
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

Hi
Have put some gear box oil in, and put the molyslip in and the noise is no different. What I have noticed is that it is doing it in first gear now aswell as 2,3,4,5.
johninderbyshire
My Cars:

anyone know how much i could get for it selling it with a noisy bearing???
Mint condition, 6 disc clarion changer, 4 michelin tyres, just had new head gasket and full service inc water pump, tensioner pulley and cam belt, mot jan 07, air con, climate control, exhaust with reciept for warranty for three years, etc I have a number of parts to sell with it including a new temp sensor for the climate control (it works fine, the wife was just going into overdrive), power steering fluid, gear box oil, some left over gaskets,