Saxo Brakes - How can I upgrade them ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Saxo Brakes - How can I upgrade them ?

Post by KevMayer »

The brakes on my daughter's Saxo 1.1 Desire are not very good. I want to upgrade them.

I think the existing brakes are Bendix calipers, the calipers on the VTR/VTS are ATE/Teves.

I'd like to fit the VTR calipers, but , looking at the pictures in Haynes it suggests that I'd haveto change the hubs because of the fixing holes not being compatible. i'e. I don't think you can fit an ATE/Teves caliper to a hub thats designed for Bendix calipers.

Does anyone have drawings to show the two arrangements, or, has anyone tried this upgrade ?

The lower arms are also different between the two cars (1.1 and VTR) so, is it an impossible task ?

Would drilled or scored discs with good quality pads be the best option to increase the braking ability ?

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Kev -

The first thing to do is to be absolutely 100% sure the brakes are in top service condition. That includes, discs, pads, calipers, master cylinder, vacuum servo and especially the servo vacuum hosing & valve.
Citroen's are NOT known for weak brakes in general.

Remember that the subframe condition, tyres condition, steering etc. have large influences on how the brakes feeling are.

Only then - try some of the many performance parts around - like Brembo discs and pads. What they offer is a better friction and better heat dissapation.
Again remember : the brakes forces are all converted to heat no exception. Could very well be your enhanced brakes will cost you messy rims because of the higher heat dissapation.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Anders.

I'll take a look at the check valve on the servo to see if its holding vacuum.

The general problem seems to be with the linkage arrangement between brake pedal and servo.

Being right hand drive, the brake pedal doesn't act directly on the servo but on a linkage mechanism which runs across the engine bay from right to left, the other end of which acts on the servo at the point where a left hand drive brake pedal would probably act. I've tried adjusting the linkage to make it activate the servo earlier than it does. But, with time, the braking effort seems to fade away and you haveto press harder. Its almost as though the mechanism is fading away as brake pad wear occurs, but , this isn't possible because the only link is the brake fluid in the pipes (mental not - must check fluid level !).

Other people report poor brakes on the base model Saxos, so I think an upgrade may be my only option.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder - sounds a bit similar to the saga of our ZX brakes.

When we bught it the front pads were worn out and I bought and fitted new ones. The disc looked OK at 53,000 miles - and so I didn't replace them.

Brakes always seemed to lack bite and so eventually I got round to replacing the discs and fitted new pads. Considerable improvement and on looking at the old discs (which still looked ok) I found that the pads I had fitted were a slightly different shape and on the inside about 5mm had been running on the previously unused part of the disc which was rusty. This must have been the cause of the problem - and on careful examination was clearly visible. Cutting the surplus off the pad would have solved the problem.

Eventually as always happens to ZX the handbrake cables siezed and I had them replaced by a mechanic who found the rear cylinders were leaking and so did them and the rear linings at the same time. After 18 months it was apparent the the rears were not adjusting - so about 3 months ago I replaced the adjusters (could have cleaned them but diidn't fancy doing the job again if it didn't work). Handbrake was immediately better but the footbrake has gradually improved further since. I can only assume that this is due to the shoes now being in the correct position and finally bedding in properly.

So now after 3 1/2 years we have a ZX with nice breaks.

Point I'm making is that most Citroens have decent brakes if they are in good condition - but some surprisingly small problems can make a huge difference. Also in normal braking the back brakes will do about 50% of the work dropping to 30% under heavy braking. They make the difference between smooth gentle stopping and everything feeling like an emergency.
jeremy
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Jeremy,

We've had the Saxo just over a year. The brakes weren't very good when we first got it so I had a full service including new front discs and pads.

From what you say, It may be well worth looking more closely at the rear brakes and handbrake.

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

DerekH
My Cars:

Post by DerekH »

Useful information on Saxo brakes at Honest John here:-
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?u ... /index.htm

DerekH (Kered on Andyspares)
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I has a Saxo for three years and the brakes were always poor, I just got used to them.
I did hear of someone who bought a fleet of Saxo's for his company, and then sent them all back because the brakes were poor.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.