zx volcane turbo diesel relay, heater and window problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

zx volcane turbo diesel relay, heater and window problems

Post by talbotsteve »

Just bought an N plate zx td as a partner for my bx tzd and have been experiencing a few niggly problems, the electric windows only work when the door is shut, is this normal? and once the key is inserted in the ignition there is a relay that goes on for about 30 seconds on off on off ect, but effects nothing, at least nothing i'm aware of.Also among lots of other problems the heater blower doesn't work!!!, can any one tell me where the blower relay is please?
cheers steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

EW problem : definately a door loom problem. One of the wires are broken.
Ticking relay : try trace the glow plugs circuit. The glowplug pre-heater may behave erratic like that - especially on a weak battery/connection.
Heater blower : first check is always the fuse :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
talbotsteve
My Cars: Had, an AX, countless BX's, ZX's, Xsara's, Xantia's, Xsara Picasso's, and now only have a C4 Picasso Lounge, which drinks tooooooo much.

Post by talbotsteve »

cheers anders, will go and have a look now,
steve
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

Well the window problem has now been found (thanks anders) but this relay thing is doing my head in!!!
the relay goes off as soon as i open the door, but goes off when the ignition is turned on (not quite what i previously posted), i checked the relays and it is the small centre relay in the top row of five under the dash, and i still can't get my heater blowing and no fuses have blown plus the dash lights dont work either may be an earthing problem???
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pull out the relay you suspect - what happens then - and what does the relay looks like on the socket ? - only 3 spade connectors ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The relay is the alarm going off. You might find the headlights are flashing as well! Presumably you haven't got a remote plip, as locking and unlocking the car with this should reset the alarm. Failing that there should be a button the dash, probably on the RH side of the steering wheel under the air vent somewhere. Find this then get out, lock and unlock the car, open the door, immediately put the key in and turn the ignition on and press this button for a couple of seconds, which should cancel the alarm. Trouble is, this doesn't work on our car (but we've got plips) - and if this is case, then you'll need to find the alarm ECU (might be under the front passenger seat?) and take it out - I don't think this will stop the central locking working - but it might!
Richard W
talbotsteve

Post by talbotsteve »

Cheers richard i had my suspicions??, i had the same bother on my 16v zx and removed the alarm from in the rear quater panel space but this relay doesn't operate the headlights or sound the alarm, but goes off every time i open the door, the relay affects nothing else so i am going to remove it and see what happens.Also i have hard wired the heater in so it now either works or doesn't no more degrees of efficiency,
thanks all steve