Sticking Xantia speedometer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Sticking Xantia speedometer

Post by Mads »

I know it has been on the forum before, but I can't seem to find the links.. get about 2500 hits, and.. :(

While driving to and from Belgium (with 10 crates of Trappist beer 8)) the speedometer seemed to get slightly stuck and if you give the dash a light knock it frees up. With all the "Safety cameras" around I'll like to fix it. I have had it out before to replace bulbs and know it's a all-in-one plastic combo. Do I have to replace the whole combo or is it possible to "oil" the pin so it don't get stuck ?

While I'm at it, I might as well admit that I can't seem to find the light contact at the hatch door :oops: . Where is it, pls.?

Thanks in advance
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The sticking speedometer may be as simple as the needle touching the
dial or the glass. Sometimes its the mechanism itself that sticks. Note that the speedometer mechanism is still the good old fashion type with a rotating magnet. Could be magnetic swarf/dust then.

Never been that close to a Xantia Break. If there are no visible door contacts - then its a built in gravity switch in the door.
My CX had this in the boot door. Back in the 60'es & early 70'es these were Mercury wetted switches - but they are no longer used because of environment issues.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image