406 Clarion / JBL problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rayc
My Cars:

406 Clarion / JBL problem

Post by rayc »

Hi
My 99 Phase 2 Exective diesel has the clarion unit with 6 disk and JBL speakers (Normal spec)
My question is. Everytime I put the radio on I get an extremely loud noise that sounds like a stone hitting the windscreen but it comes from the speakers. It doesn't matter what level volume control I have.
My question is. Do these systems have a seperate amp? If they do where is it sited? I notice sometimes going over a bump the speakers crackle or if I tap the head unit in the dah (Nowhere near as loud).

I'm hoping one of you guys can assist me on this. It doing my head (and ears :shock: ) in!

Thanks in advance

Ray :wink:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

rayc wrote:I notice sometimes going over a bump the speakers crackle or if I tap the head unit in the dah (Nowhere near as loud)
This is a defintive indication of a bad connection to the speakers somewhere.
It could in fact be related to the nasty thump on start up.
I'd say you should put your efforts into tracing the speaker wires and look for any damaged wires. There is a chance that a wire is (partly) shortcircuited to chassis somewhere. That would explain the loud start up thump an the crackles on car vibrations.

You may moan that lots of dismantling work is ahead then. That is true. Its your choice however to pay someone doing it - or have a go yourself.
Just remember that every hour spent - is a labour hour saved on the bill.
Even professionals may spend a whole workday finding such a problem. Diference is they dont try save plastic bits - they just put a new part on the bill :twisted:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image