XantiaTD Rev Counter Still Not Working With Pics NOW SORTED.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

XantiaTD Rev Counter Still Not Working With Pics NOW SORTED.

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

anyone know anything about the rev counter in my 19TD xantia m reg it just does not work and i dont know were to start i dont even know where the sender is on the engine.

any ideas apprecated

pete...............
Last edited by pete@co.uk on 31 Aug 2006, 21:40, edited 4 times in total.
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
goldfinche
My Cars:

Rev counter

Post by goldfinche »

Hello the gearbox bell housing quite close to the engine looking at the engine from the nearside there are two positions it could be in.(the sensor) and they are about 12 oclock and 2 oclock. held in position by a bolt. A lead comes off the sensor (I think it's coloured brown from memory.) Usually there are two reasons for failure, the lead goes hard with age and fractures inside and where the lead plugs into the loom the socket gets corroded.If you follow the lead from the sensor you will come to the socket/plug.
If you have a multimeter you can check for continuety of the sensor.(It's a coil.) A new sensor is fitted in contact with the flywheel as it has 4 little plastic bumps on the end that are sacreficial and gives the correct air gap.
Cheers.
Geoff.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy its the plug cotacts need a clean
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Citronut and Goldfinch

Thanks for the speedy reply ill go and check that out now ill let you know how i get on.

Cheers guys :)
Pete............................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

Still have,nt got round to doing this yet but ive found a yellow multiplug on top of the gearbox is this the plug for the rev counter sensor but the lead to it is so obscure i cant see where it go,s to as yet.

pete.................................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys

Ive had another look for this sensor and i still cant see it maybe if its at 2.oclock on the gearbox that means its at the back of the bell housing am i correct in saying that as im going to have a go at it tomorrow to try to get the rev counter going. Has anyone got a diagram of where this sensor is to point me in the right direction as i cant see it for the life of me

Pete..............
Drives
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its like the BX and ZX (and it sounds so) you'll have to get right underneath the car with your head behind the engine - then you'll see the thing on the reverse of the flywheel housing.

I think Xantia's have an undertray which will have to come off.

Why not try disconnecting it and seeing if it conducts first. If it conducts its probably OK.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on the xants i belive its near the top of the clutch/bell housing,under all the cluter at the end of the cylinder head,and i think its usualy of a stainless stealy apearance,and the cable is of about the same diamiter as that on the ABS sensors
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi agian guys

Well ive found two sensors in that area one is on the back of the engine on the block at the bell housing end of the engine the other is behind the bell housing both have multiplugs attached to them in the pic shown here the yellow plug the lead from that goes to a sensor behind the engine block and you can see in the picture the other sensor thats on the bell housing thats got a grey multiplug attached to it there,s a third grey mutiplug you can see in the picture on top of the gearbox the lead for that disappears behind the engine somewhere the two grey multiplugs have three pins and the yellow one has two pins

is that the rev counter sensor the one ive arrowed

the grey one in the pic i couldent get a reading from on the multimeter but on the yellow one there was a reading but with a slight resistence on it

and here,s a picture of the full engine

pete...................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Any ideas guys please

Have i arrowed the right sensor if i have ill remove it and check it out or replace it.

Pete.....................
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think that sensor on the gaer box is your reversing light switch,the one you are trying to find should be towards the left of that sensor right up against the end of the engine,as the working tip of it is pointing at the edge of the flywheel,although the plug in your picy might be the rev counter lead as i think the early axnts had the sensor in the same place as BXs did which is bolted to the clutch housing but overhangs the rear of engine block
regards malcolm
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The part you are pointing to in your image is the speedo transducer in the diff housing.

Here's a pic of what you are looking for, assuming your car doesn't have an ECU, in which case things are different.

Dave
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Jeremy Malcolm and everybody else

Well i took my car to a citroen indy today in birmigham and this is there website http://www.citroenparts.co.uk who were very helpful and they showed me were the rev counter sensor is, its three quarters of the way down the back of the engine near the bell housing end of the engine and the grey multiplug you can see in my pic is in fact the plug for it, the sensor is like you guys said held on by one bolt and they called it the crankshaft sensor.

Anyway i did test this already the other day and couldent get a reading from it but at that time, i did,nt know that was the sensor plug and they said the problem is ether the sensor or the counter itself but go for the sensor first. Anyway i brought a sensor and im going to try and fit it tomorrow but it looks very awkward as to were it is.

pete...........................
Last edited by pete@co.uk on 30 Aug 2006, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks Dave

I was writing my last post when you posted your pic thats correct as to what they told me now i can see were it is and should help me to make my job a lot easier they just pointed and said follow the wire down but that pic is great

Thanks a Bunch Dave :D

Pete................................................
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know what that picy site is but every time i open any of the picys i get a party pocker site opens its self up behind this page,horible little gremlins
regards malcolm