xantia heater bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

xantia heater bulbs

Post by pete woods »

I went to change the bulbs in the heater panel the other day. I removed all the trim & screws & got the panel loose but left all the cables etc connected. try as I might I couldn't see any bulbs! the haynes book shows them between the serrated wheels on the underside of the unit but its not there on mine (1997 1.9td sx) any ideas?
I'll have to have the dash out soon as some have gone in there as well but none of the jobs seem straight forward on these things.
Am I just depressed!?
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

This sounds like the same heater control unit that is used in the ZX. I'm not sure as I don't have a Xantia.
Try carefully prising off the front of the heater control by forcing down the clips on the top/sides/bottom of the unit. You should be able to pull the bulbs out. Do this carefully as the plastic seems to be made of a brittle compound.
I first tried to do this job as suggested by the Haynes manual and nearly destroyed the bulb holders with a pair of needle-pliers, until I realised that the front could be taken off!
Not too sure how to go about replacing the dashboard lights on the Xantia.The following link may be of help although is it worth noting that this guide is meant for ZX owners.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1963
If none of the above applies, I apologise in advance!
Good luck!
By the way, Merry Xmas to all forum users!
Ben
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

Cheers Ben & Happy Christmas
I thiught about taking the front off but the knobs didn't seem to want to come off. I pulled fairly hard but was worried about breaking the unit if they weren't designed to be removed.
Anyone know for sure?
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Pull hard,firmly,and straight out on the slider controls Pete, and they will come off. Pull at the sides,rather than placing finger's at the top,and bottom of the control's.you will probably need a pliers they are very tight the first time you remove them. then follow the previous reply,as regards removing the panel!(these are a different bulb to what is fitted in the dash,so make sure you have got HEATER BULBS
Regarding the changing of the bulbs in the dash Haynes is useful here,as it illustrates where the many screws are located.There its usefulness ends,as they advise removing the steering wheel which is not necessary. I found it O.K to drop the steering column slightly,ie do not fully remove the steering column nuts & be especially careful not to pinch any wiring when replacing the steering column.