mixing petrol oil and diesel oil ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxb29
My Cars:

mixing petrol oil and diesel oil ?

Post by zxb29 »

hi all

would mixing oils cause any problems in a diesel engine ?

what i mean is topping up with petrol oil ?
-----------------------
2005 ZX SX Diesel 64K
2004 ZX Aura TD 150k
2003 ZX Volcane TD 124k
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Just make sure the oil ratings are the ones specified to your engine. Nowadays diesel and petrol oils are very close in terms of specifications.
As longs as it meets them and the mixing proportion is kept low(in case it doesn't meet the specs), there should be no problems.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

All engine oils have 2 important specifacations to watch for :
1) the viscosity grade - i.e. the 10W40, 15W40 etc. figure
2) the API spec - i.e. the SC/CF type of notation. This is a measure of the oil's durability - and in most cases directly relates to the retail price (not always true though !)

Only rarely the oil will be specified single purpose for diesel or petrol or turbo, as any recent engine oil will do for all these working conditions.
And they all mix with no problem at all. No matter if mineral, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic types.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The odd top up wont hurt but when you change the oil fill up with a diesel specific oil, this contains detergents and other aditives that help prevent the formation of varnish.

Dave
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Dave Burns wrote:The odd top up wont hurt but when you change the oil fill up with a diesel specific oil, this contains detergents and other aditives that help prevent the formation of varnish.

Dave
Most oils now state that they are suitable for all engine types - e.g. ".. suited to all car petrol and diesel engines icluding those with turbochargers .."
I assumed that included anti varnish and detergent qualities as Anders suggested.
Given a suitable specification, I now use any oil that states something similar to the above.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Yep, I mix them on my car. Just don't do it with any new VW's! Just had a warranty claim thrown out by VW on the company fleet. Seems that VW state one type of oil, VW506.01 or something, and our driver was filling it up with GTD magnatec. Anyway, it had a lifter failure, and they tested the oil... :shock: Bye Bye engine.....they said that it would carry no warranty on the drivetrain from here on out. I still think that they were just being pedantic :)
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You will find that most branded oils reads on the label : conforms to VW506.01, Mercedes xxx, BMW yyy, MIL something, API lots, Ford anything etc. etc. etc. etc. ...
If you read the label closely.

The VW506.01 is not a special type of oil - but a certain minimum spec of oil. (Most likely a semisynth 10W-40) not !.

Edit : The VW506.01 spec requires a synthetic 0W-30.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

it may seem pedantic to void the warranties on those new vw's but they and many new-ish german cars are designed around those wide graded or thin synthetics. it will be interesting to see what happens in a few years time when owners who can't be bothered to shell out more for the correct oil have clocked up the miles in them. i assume something similar but on a larger scale as all the fords these days that sound terrible from not using 5w30. wonder if citroen will decide to use more specific grades?... seems to be the trend..
Citroen AX 1996, 954cc (Petrol), 76k
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There is a trend to the thinner oils because they make the engine marginally more economical, once one manufacturer starts doing it all of the others will have to too. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if lots of cars need thin synthetic oil it'll get cheaper and easier to get hold of, eventually you'll not be able to get anything else.

I quite like the fact that my XUD is just as happy on the cheapest engine oil as it is when its got the nicest 5w40 fully synthetic diesel engine oil. I've heard scary stories about the newer thinner oils and newer engine's ability to drink a sumpfull in rather less time than the service interval!