Xantia Losing Water!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

320i coupe

Xantia Losing Water!!!!

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

I have a '97 1.9td estate on an r plate.

have been checking the water recently, and if definitely losing some along the way, so thought it was similar to my bm, and decided to get a new header tank cap, just incase it was steaming out of there?

Car is still losing water, no overheating, no obvious signs of leakage i.e. antifreeze mark, or spots on the driveway in the morning, so my only consclusion is that it could be "steaming" out of somewhere when the system is pressurised, which incidentally it does do.

Can anyone shed any light on potential areas where this could happen, or could it be the water pump leaking maybe???

Thanks all,

Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you ever got the coolant level warning light ?

If not - its likely you worry about the empty space needed in the header tank for the coolant to expand when it gets hot. Also on releasing the cap at cold engine if you get a small fizz from escaping pressure there are no leaks in the system.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why not let the engine run on your drive untill the fans kick in and then switch the engine off and you would hear it if there is a pin hole in a pipe where its going from. Suppose its possibly the water pump but id suspect a not too tight joint somewhere first of all..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bottom of the radiator, the water pump inlet housing on the back of the block, and the heater matrix are favourite Xantia TD leak points.
Richard W
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Idea,
if you have a vent cap on your water system (near the offside engine mount) on a small pipe, with the engine cool, remove the pipe and connect a foot pump or electric pump and put a bit of pressure into the system about 10psi, you should find a leak that way if you have one. It may be at the bottom hose on the radiator, it was on my xantia.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its done much over 100k it could be head gasket leakage that blowing the water out of the header tank. Check around the filler cap and overflow pipe for traces of antifreeze / rusty water deposits, as it will only be loosing water when you are driving.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

When your driving the car, if water is leaking from a pipe, it may be evaporating when it hits the hot engine. I doubt its the head gasket. Do the pressure test as I have said. I had the same problem with my car, no water on the drive or water showing. It only displayed itself once under pressure.
Paul

PS try it, its cheaper than changing the head gasket
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

about the 10psi pressure test - surely the coolant system is under massivly more pressure when the engine is hot and running and so this would show up the leak??

i know the engine heat might make it evapourate but tere would be some sort of sign of dampness.

10psi isnt much pressure - squeeze the top rad hose when the system is hot and its really hard....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahaa ...
But the rad cap valve opens at some 1.5bar (21psi) pressure - no matter what pressure the hot cooling system develops - it will be releived to a max of some 21psi. (the valve does of course have some hysteresis)

The cooling system is kept pressurised in the first place to raise the boiling point. This is to avoid the coolant boiling at "hot spots" in the head and around the cylinder tops.
If the coolant starts boiling - the cooling effectiveness is lost almost 100% in spots :shock:

Note that raising the boiling point has nothing to do with temperature and cooling : i.e. the temperature can still go high. The coolant just wont boil.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

8304 wrote: i know the engine heat might make it evapourate but tere would be some sort of sign of dampness.
I had a leak along the bottom of the radiator fins, it took months before it got so bad that it started dripping or even looked wet.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Unfortunatly in my case its nearly always the head gasket! :(
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

The 1.9TD engine block has a housing on the rear offside only accessible with the drivers RHD wheel off. This housing has a capped off pipe stub which only leaks when the system is under pressure. It is a rubber cap retained with a clip. Easily replaced costs less than a quid but what a relief when you find it!!!!
I was convinced the head gasket was on its way out.
Check it out first. Robin
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

thanks all for that, sorry i havent replied!
i can definitely confirm its losing water from somewhere, although theres no scum & the car isnt overheating, as i do drive in quite heavy tarffic sometimes, plenty to be getting on with, so i will keep you all posted, but of anyone has alternative suggestions, please post them here as i want as much to go at as i can, and leave no hole unturned!

steve
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

If its a small leak, it could be worth a shot trying a leak sealant. Apply only a small amount (to avoid any unnecesary blocking of water passages) and see what happens.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you have a compressor, you can troubleshoot the old-fashioned way!
With the engine off, pressurise the cooling system with air and you'll soon be able to see and hear the leak.