Help - Idiot alert!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andya
My Cars:

Help - Idiot alert!!!

Post by andya »

Hi All
I have a Xantia 1.9D M reg and the problems Ive been having are:
1. front suspension virtually solid
2. constant clicking from front (about every 2 seconds at tickover)
3. intermitant power steering
So I thought I'd start by renewing the front spheres. My first mistake was removing the bleed screw completely (I didnt read the thread properly) I put it straight back in and only lost a very small amount of LHM. So I tried to remove the spheres using a chain wrench to no avail and thought I'd leave it until I can get a proper tool, but now I have no brakes and the suspension wont rise at all!!
The only good thing is that it doesnt click at all now!!!
Please help and idiot!
Cheers
Andy
Jon

Post by Jon »

Oh dear.
Well first of all that clicking that WAS happening every couple of seconds was the Pressure regulator cutting in and out no doubt due to a worn Accumulator.
If it was me, to get back on the road, I'd do this. Fit a new Accumulator sphere as soon as possible.
Ensure that the 12mm headed bleed screw is back in the regulator, and done up. Start up your car, and set the Height switch inside to the highest setting. Go back to the Regulator and open and close the bleed nut 1/4 to half a turn several times until the car start to come up. As the car rises, do up the bleed nut. Hopefully, this will bleed the system enough for you at this stage. If not, you may also have to bleed the front brakes but I'm hoping not.
If there are still problems, please reply, and if I can't help I am sure that there are a few people on here that can.
JW
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You took the bleed screw right out? Ooops....
You have lost the ball bearing that goes behind it and effects the seal - this is why you are getting no suspension pressure. Now, I remember that somebody else on here did this only a few weeks ago, and he was able to buy a new ball bearing from Citroen for little money to rectify the situation. Get the ball, remove the bleed screw again, push the ball into the hole, then screw the bleed screw back in. You should now get suspension pressure.
Recommendation for difficult spheres is to get a removal tool (about £30 from Andyspares or Plaeides - makes the job a sinch!).
As Jon says the rapid clicking was the flat accumulator - you are not accumulating any pressure at the moment, which is why it's not clicking!
Richard
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Andy,
It could just be that you may also have to prime the pump via the hose from the tank to the pump. Also if the suspension is a bit lazy getting up, another trick I have often used is to give the car a good shaking. This will often cause the height corrector to spring to life without resorting to the priming process.
Just a couple of tips to compliment Jon's advice.
Alan S
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Found it, try this thread...
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1566
Same problems, new ball fixed it, but from bearing factor rather than Citroen.
Richard
andya
My Cars:

Post by andya »

Hi Richard
Found the ball on my drive - put it back in and all is well.
Thanks a million.
Do you think that the power steering problem could be linked to the accumulator problem??
Andy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Andy,
Intermittent PAS is usually associated with old and dirty systems. On older cars fitted with a flow divider (FD) it was often a set of filters in the FD that were blocked up causing the problems. A flat accumulator shouldn't affect the steering. Later cars fitted with antisink, and hence a two outlet pump, do not have an FD so the cause is not so clear. Either way, your first step is to change out the LHM for hydraflush for a while (3k miles) and see what that does for it. Hopefully this will cure the steering problems. If it doesn't (and you don't have anti-sink) then removing and cleaning the FD is next. If this doesn't work (or you do have antisink) it's likely that the pump is worn out, and a new one will be required. If THIS doesn't fix it then it's a new rack (or at least a pinion valve and / or ram).
Hydraflush is cheap to start with!!
Richard