18i xantia keeps cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

18i xantia keeps cutting out

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

i have a engine problem with my m reg xantia 18i sometimes when i start it up it runs absolutly perfect then another time it keeps cutting out, and wont tick over or anything. and its a job to start the engine then if i leave it till the next day everthing is fine agian the problem can happen anytime weather the engine is hot or cold.

A machanic said the petrol filter could be the couse what do you think. This problem is getting steadly worse as time goes on and i need to sort it out before something goes completly .

any ideas guys

your help appricated

pete................................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

my 1996 16v 1.8 did this when i 1st brought it, but it seems to have completely stopped now.

You don’t say if yours is 8v or 16v, but this is what i have done. (Some was service item anyhow)

1) Clean the idle speed steeper motor with wd40 or similar
2) There was a small leak (sometimes not always) from a fuel hose which connects to the fuel rail- i changed the original clip for a crocodile clip type
3) Clean all coloured switches- these include the blue green and brown ones near the thermostat housing. The ats switch- and a couple of others near the inlet manifold
4)take off the air filter ducting near the throttle, give this a good clean inside- it is often very dirty
5) look for air leaks at the air hoses near the throttle assembly.
6) Changed spark plugs
7) Changed fuel filter
8a) changed the coolant temp sensor

All of these things are free of very cheap- so that where i would start (start with the stepper motor- this can cause stalling).
once you done all the cleaning reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery negative terminal, then reconnect after 10mins
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Restricted fuel filters show up when fuel flow is high, like going at speed uphill.
Don’t think they cause the idle to stop. :?
Story of ‘map sensor’ affecting the idle here:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33660
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi thanks kid and clogzz

Well my my xantia is an 8 valve so you guys think it could be the mapping sensor ive checked the hose that leads to it that was ok and all connections seem to be ok and ive pulled them off and sprayed them with wd now im waiting for the problem to reappear its running ok at the moment but time will tell. i was thinking maybe replace the mapping sensor they should,nt be to to dear from a scrappy if thats the problem what you think guys.

pete....................
Drives
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pete - not the mapping sensor.
the MAP sensor - abbreviation for Manifold Absolute (air) Pressure
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If in time the fault is still there, then replacing the MAP sensor may be an idea.
You could first experiment to simulate the fault by disconnecting the wires and hose in turn, though that may give an inconclusive answer.
Also try what effect plugging the disconnected hose has.
Don’t know if they are used on diesels, :? so hope you may easily find a petrol wreck.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi agian guys

Well the problem was back agian today :( a Citroen breaker who,s also a good machanic said try the sensor that goes inside the ecu housing that sometimes plays up anyway he got one out of stock tried it for me it was still the same so that rules that out so ill try replacing the map sensor (thanks for the correction andersDK :oops: ) but i think its going to be a process of ilumination. and thanks clogzz for that link yesterday it was very helpfull.

pete.................................
Drives