Xantia engine overheating?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

erno
My Cars:

Xantia engine overheating?

Post by erno »

Hi to all! There is happened strange thing with my Xantia 1.8 8v cooling system. At first any weeks ago temp. indicator began to show 95-100 degree insted normally 90 when ride 100-120 km/h...Ok. First thing what I did, was that I change thermostat and coolant liquid (old one was really like white coffee!!!). That action didn`t help :( Then yesterday I change water pump with new one (need to say that old one was in excellent condition :(((...) So, can anyone give me any idea, what could it be, or how can I check whats wrong in system? May be is faulty t sensor?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Temperature problems on the Xantia are usually caused by the electric cooling fans not spinning when they are supposed to, but at 100 km/h the fans aren’t needed or used anyway.
First ensure that there’s no air trapped in the system, by opening the vents on the heater hose and thermostat housing when the engine is running.
Since the coolant was brown, I think that the inside of the cooling system must be very dirty, :evil: and needs a good flush.
The bottom part of the radiator may be full of sediment.
Maybe try to flush the radiator, carefully, because I think the sides are plastic. :roll:
Also check that there’s plenty of oil in the sump, because the oil helps the cooling.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Cloggz... the 'white coffee' is a tiny bit worrying?

John
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

jgra1 wrote:Cloggz... the 'white coffee' is a tiny bit worrying?

John
I noticed that also. Could be oil emulsion (+rust stain) and with the other symptoms might indicate imminent head gasket failure perhaps ? This is similar to what happened to me with a BX.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

I’d say so too, especially if it’s got good ‘crema’. :)
Isn’t that the head gasket colour ? :shock:

Edit: Oops !
Sorry, Dave, I sent my story before I saw your post. :oops:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The PSA engines type XU have a very exclusive feature : they would always show a blown headgasket as an over-pressurised cooling system - thus expelling the coolant.
VERY rarely they show the old school indications of grey oil (water in oil) - or oil in the coolant.

Its important to know :
A blown headgasket will not by itself cause the engine to everheat. Something else is at fault - causing the overheating - which at some point has caused the HG to fail. Not vice-versa.
Please do a thorough faultfinding and overall engine service - BEFORE you decide to rip the head. Remember : its your wallet !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds to me much like a blocked radiator. Over about 20 MPH the fans make no difference as the draught from the car's motion is greater than the fans can possibly produce - so if its happening in normal driving - forget the fans.

The radiator is a crossflow type - with its tanks at either end. Old fashioned ones had the tanks top and bottom and any sludge would collect relatively harmlessly in the bottom tank. With a crossflow radiator it starts blocking the tubes from the bottom and is unnoticed until it blocks one tube too many and then the car overheats. It may be that you can feel that the bottom part of the radiator is cold while the top is hot.

You may be able to shift the sludge by flushing - and you may not - in which case you'll need a new radiator.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the car has done much in excess of 100k miles, it probably needs a new radiator.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If its still got the original radiator then like previously suggested it could well do with a new one, and for less that £100 its a sure thing to have done.

The xantia when i got it, the temperature read more than 90oC continuously, a new radiator brought that temperature down to 70oC and never anymore while driving.

Money well spent.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
erno
My Cars:

Hantia engine overheating...

Post by erno »

jeremy wrote:Sounds to me much like a blocked radiator. Over about 20 MPH the fans make no difference as the draught from the car's motion is greater than the fans can possibly produce - so if its happening in normal driving - forget the fans.

The radiator is a crossflow type - with its tanks at either end. Old fashioned ones had the tanks top and bottom and any sludge would collect relatively harmlessly in the bottom tank. With a crossflow radiator it starts blocking the tubes from the bottom and is unnoticed until it blocks one tube too many and then the car overheats. It may be that you can feel that the bottom part of the radiator is cold while the top is hot.

You may be able to shift the sludge by flushing - and you may not - in which case you'll need a new radiator.
Hi, again!
At first I noticed, that my new thermostat opening temperature marked on was 88 degree, but on the old one 83 degree by Celsius! And second thing, as mentioned Jeremy is that "bottom part of the radiator is cold, while the top is hot" :cry: Now I`ll try to flush my radiator...