Fuel Gauge Not Working

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mak224751
My Cars:

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Post by mak224751 »

Hi All
I have a 52 plate 406 2.0HDi Rapier. The problem i have got is that the fuel gauge is not working and has steadily decreased from a quarter full to empty despite putting diesel in. The computer display that tells you how many miles you have got till you have to fill up has also decreased so that it now reads -----. Any help would be greatly appreciated on what is wrong and how much it is likely to cost to get it repaired either doing it myself or getting a garage to do it.

I know that this is a peugeot thread and apologise but i know a lot of citroen owners also have peugeots must be a french thing!!

Thanks
1993 Xantia 1.9TD (Died)
1990 BX 17TZD Turbo
Peugot 406 HDi
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

Its more then likely the fuel sender in the tank (you many get to it under the back seat, remove the big black rubber plug, they come out easy, it is on the 205) and just give it a good clean, hope that done the job.
Good luck
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Funnily enough I had a problem with the fuel gauge on my 53 plate 807 over the weekend.

Stuck 70L of diesel into it and the gauge still read almost empty, the low fuel warning light was on, the low fuel display was on and the computer estimated we could manage 21 miles. My first thought was that the pump had not dispensed anything but I got the usual gurgle of air just before the pump cut-off.

Got home and I pulled out the handbook to see if it had any clues about which fuse might be responsible, as I did that the wife gave the gauge a few taps and hey presto it sprang straight up to full.