My little project - Lots of Pics!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

My little project - Lots of Pics!

Post by rossnunn »

Its been a while so I thought I'd update you all on my little project.

Well alots happened so where do I start? I know I'll start at the front & work my way back.
Front grille, nearly finished de-badging just some minor finishing to do, then thats ready to paint. The amount of filler that was used its now really quite heavy, its a shame I didn't get into fiberglassing sooner, would have saved ALOT of work.
Headlights, still trying to get hold of some Morette quad's, if you know anyone pm me pls.
Front bumper, I smoothed the towing eye cover in here, mine had gone missing (don't they all) before my ownership, so I decided to make it part of the bumper forever, I think it really cleans the front of the car up.

Front wings, these a nearly done having the repeater holes filled.
Engine, is now all running sweetly, a couple of wires just need connecting at the diag port but she starts & runs each & everytime.
Doors, both door locks are now filled & smoothed.
Mirrors, these are so freshly done they're still warm - well I needed to put the side repeaters somewhere! Obvously the colour coded panel needs finishing - I ran out of light today.

Rear Arches, have been finished, they have been cut, shaped & flaired to fit the 16v arches perfectly.
Bootlid, new lid is on & painted.
Reflector panel, back into one piece after I dropped it, this is a old pic as its now sitting in primer waiting for some paint. It shows the fiberglass repair

Rear Lights, these are on hold while I chase the weather while doing the body, I'll comeback to these when winter comes.
Rear Bumper, I filled the exhaust cutout ready for the bespoke system to be fitted, I also blended out the rear towing eye cover. Although the new exhaust outlets have yet to be cut I think it looks really good.

Rear Beam, is on & lowered, the front struts still need doing tho.

It may have been off the road so far for 1 year & 2 months but thats the way it goes when your doing everything yourself. It takes twice as long but I have learnt so much.
There is however much to do (3 A4 pages in fact) & many, many man hours still to pour in, if only I could share the image in my head of it done with you guys.

Some of you guys will not like what I'm doing here, ZX purists may have a heart attack, thats fine, if it provokes conversation thats all good too. I exepect to recieve bad comments, some good too so fire away, floors open ask questions, chat about it, thats what its here for. ;)
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

I'm new here, this looks interesting. What exactly are you planning? Purely exterior modifications or performance as well?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

well now, I've just (with alot of ball ache) replaced the 1.4 single point engine with a 1.4 multipoint unit that I paid £50 for, becuase of head gaskit failure on the old one.
I'm mostly working on bodywork becuase of the weather. There are bits going on inside too but that'll be later on.
I really really really like the idea of a V6, but TBH I don't think I'd use this shell, this one is about someything different. This is more of a 'showey' motor rather than a ripsnorting powerhouse. I don't know I might get a 1.6 & do some tweaking with that if I get bored. Insurance will be the killer on any engine mods tho.
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Would a V6 fit in the ZX? If so it's an interesting idea, but yes running costs and insurance sound nightmarish.

Have you considered doing something with an AX for peformance. I know someone else who went that route, AX's weight nothing and with an engine transfer from a Saxo VTS (or VTR?) they can be made seriously fast (0-60 in under 6 seconds, 130mph top speed - no I wouldn't like to crash one..).
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Not a fan of a AX, they are abit too 'washing machine' for my liking.

V6 slots stright in (ish)

running costs - well if you wanted something good on fuel you'd buy a 1.5 diesel right? :lol:
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

How did you make the bumper lips ???

I'm currently building what will probably be the fastest GS in Australia ... It has 2doors, and is powered by a 2.5litre turbo charged water cooled engine :lol: :shock: :lol:

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

hi mate which bumper lips are you talking about? Do you mean the return where it folds under the car??
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yeah the bumpers look a lot deep ... ie: closer to the ground than standard :)

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I cant bash all the hard work you have obviously done and I would be fascinated to see it once its all done and dusted.

I have to admit I'm not much into this modding larky but you are obviously putting the effort in rather than 'quick bodges'.

In terms of interior are you going for full whack, like leather (everything electric, heated and everything :D)
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Have you thought about teh 2.0CT based engine? and see about putting the 16v head on instead, IE have a nice 200bhp with smoth power lines but maybe use a GT28r or GT28RS turbo instead of the standard unit for reliability and ability to push more power :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Double Chevron - aaah I see what you mean, no I've not deepened the bumpers atall, the car is lowered though, thats probably whats doing it & that the images are taken higher than the bumpers so naturally give a lower apperance.

mezuk04 - cheers, interiour wise, I'm making a custom dashboard & stereo install. I have a very nice set of valour seats & doorcards that could be mistaken for new. I'm not really a fan of leather on little cars, athough the electric adjustment would be nice. It was a elation orignally so I'm fitting electric windows, mirrors, the aforementioned volcane seats, black carpets & dark grey headlining.

KP - I'm really trying to steer away from engine mods purely on a insurance basis, but the time I'm finished I'm expecting quotes of 1k+ with the standard 1.4 in. I may play with a 1.6 8ver if the insurance comes in under the expected, if its a truely awsome quote I'll give it a year or two then maube look into a Gti6 unit.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The reason i suggest it is that it basically is the MI16 kinda units you see later on in the zx's but with a turbo on. i have a feeling the exhaust and inlet manifolds from the 8v CT head would mate upto the 16v head as im sure i have read of it being done elsewhere and its a cheap enough modifcation while the engine is on the bench.

Also try HIC for an insurance quote. they have been very good to me with my R5 GTT, R19 16v Chamade, and 20vt(grp 19 insurance) so should do well for a younger driver and modded exterior. Sometimes easier to get a quote for gauranteed valuation with pics and list off the mods on there as well :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

thanks KP I'll give them a try. I'm after a insurnace really where they're aware of the mods but if it gets bashed & they deicde to repair it they use standard panels, but noone is like that nowadays.
I'll take a look further into that engine, but as I say its all about insurance at the mo.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You should really pop your location up on the board, so us 'fellars' who dont own any Citroens can have a pass by to get some joy at seeing a Citroen.

I'm doing the 'mums' zx tonight, oh how i miss that car, i miss the xantia more though :cry:

** Would just like to add that when I say "I'm doing", I am not referring to anything of a sexual nature, just a 5k service.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

sorted 8)