C5 estate tyre pressures

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SandyD
My Cars:

C5 estate tyre pressures

Post by SandyD »

Hi all can any of you help me out I fitted new tyres to my C5 estate 205x65x15 Michelin e3a energy’s the original tyre spec were Michelin xh1 tyre pressure of 32 psi normal. If ay of you out there had E3A tyres fitted as standard can you let me know the pressures on the door pillar sticker for the tyres.

Sandy.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The tyre pressures are indepedent olf the tyre model. Just follow the sticker ;)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

406 V6 wrote:The tyre pressures are indepedent olf the tyre model. Just follow the sticker ;)
Unfortunately thats not true, the optimal tyre pressure for a given car does vary with different tyres.... in particular if they're a different size, but also with different sidewall constructions. The pressures on the door plaque only apply to the original type and size of tyres.

Sometimes if you switch to a different size tyre than the original or a radically different type (tread pattern, sidewall profile, rubber compound etc) you have to determine the new optimum pressures with a bit of trial and error....

Too low a pressure and you'll get extra drag reducing acceleration, (which can also cause the tyres to overheat) possible squeal around smooth corners, excessive scuffing around corners on the edge of the tread, a bit of "bounciness" in the ride, rapid tyre wear, and the steering and turn in might feel a bit soggy.

Too high a pressure and the ride will get harsh, you'll get reduced grip, and particularly in the wet you might find the back will try to let go because there isn't enough weight at the back to flatten the tyre onto the road with the high pressure. (Over inflated tyres are dangerous in the wet)

The ideal pressure range is pretty narrow too - usually only about +/- 1psi from optimum...

Having said that I would start from the recomended pressures, and tweak from there if you notice any symptoms...

The main things to watch out for on a front heavy front wheel drive car like a Citroen are underinflated front tyres, and overinflated rear tyres.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

ALWAYS go with the car manufacturers specifications on tyre pressures :shock:

The tyre pressure is calculated during load/specifications matches from a range of tyre types to to the axle on each car model. Your dealer (in some cases your owners handbook) will inform you of correct tyre pressures if alternative tyres are used.

This has been the truth ever since driving safety became an issue :?

Simon - there is a link to Michelin tyre bible online - with all the basics on tyres. This link is found in the "locked tyre thread" thread. I urge you to surf that side and learn the basics on tyres :idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:ALWAYS go with the car manufacturers specifications on tyre pressures :shock:

The tyre pressure is calculated during load/specifications matches from a range of tyre types to to the axle on each car model. Your dealer (in some cases your owners handbook) will inform you of correct tyre pressures if alternative tyres are used.

This has been the truth ever since driving safety became an issue :?

Simon - there is a link to Michelin tyre bible online - with all the basics on tyres. This link is found in the "locked tyre thread" thread. I urge you to surf that side and learn the basics on tyres :idea:
Hi Anders,

You seem to have completely misunderstood me. I'm not saying to ignore manufacturers recomendations, what I'm responding to was '406 V6's comments that the tyre pressures are independant of the "tyre model" which is incorrect.

I pointed out that for a given car (and axle) the optimum tyre pressure is in fact also affected by the size and type of tyre. (As well as the weight of the car etc) If the replacement tyre is a type explicitely listed by Citroen, for which they give a recommended pressure, great - use that figure.

But in many cases there is no direct recommendation for the tyres available now. Remember that many/most of the tyres listed even in a Xantia handbook are not even available any more. Have you seen an MXV3A for sale anywhere new recently ? I havn't.... :lol:

Because of this other types of tyres than those listed in the owners handbook must by neccessity be used - and it doesn't automatically follow that "any" tyre you put on will be optimal at the same pressure as the original tyres.

Just to give an example directly out of the Xantia handbook:

2.0i manual/automatic -

195/55 R15 MXV3A 84V - front 36psi, rear 32psi
185/65 R15 MXV3A 88V - front 33psi, rear 30psi

Clearly different pressures for different size tyres on the same size rim for the SAME models/weights of car.

Another example - my 2.0i 8v auto has a door sticker which says 185/65R15 with pressures given of 33psi front, 30psi rear.

My Fathers Xantia which is almost identical has a door plaque that says 195/60R15 front 36psi, rear 32psi.

Clearly there are different recommended pressures for different size tyres, so if you have anything other than the exact originally supplied size and type of tyre you cannot trust the figures on the door plaque to be the correct values, and a small correction of pressure may be needed.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
SandyD
My Cars:

thanks

Post by SandyD »

Hi all I know there can be differences in tyre pressure and types Michelin xh1 energy and Michelin E3A tyres are polls apart in compound used and construction e.g. ply’s used. My book says for normal use front and rear tyre pressures are 32 psi Mr Michelin online say’s for E3a energy tyres front 33 rear 36 psi then goes on to say “The pressures given above are indication only. Please refer to your vehicle manufactures handbook, or the pressure sticker on the door pillar or fuel filler flap for recommended pressure information."

Well I can if it was xh1 tyres but I fitted but E3A’s are much newer and different than the ones fitted when the car was new 4 years ago.
So thanks for your input so far and keep it coming, a good web site for general info on tyres and stuff is
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

I’m off to bed now first night shift done 3 more to go.

Sandy.
:wink: