Low speed fan on ZX TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bmw_slayer

Low speed fan on ZX TD

Post by bmw_slayer »

Hello all,

I have a 97 ZX TD (with all-mechanical injection) and I think there may be something slightly amiss with the temperature control.

In normal driving it stays between 85-90 degrees as one would expect.

However, when idling for a long period the fan doesn't come on until around 100 degrees, and when it does it's at full speed - the engine revs drop slightly under the load of powering it!

Unscrewing the radiator guard under the bonnet reveals three relays - should I start by replacing one of these? I know this topic has been covered in some depth before but I can't seem to find a post where the symptoms match mine, and I'm well into my overdraft at the moment so I don't want to spend money unnecessarily!

Thanks,

Mark
97 ZX Turbo Diesel - " This is exactly the car that all New Zealanders should be driving"

AUTONEWS, New Zealand, March 1993
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

try giving the fans a good firm tap when they should be spinning at low RPM.

I had the same problem on my xantia and after advice from here this method worked.I think it must have dislodged some corrosion.

You could also try taking out the relays and check for corrosion there

cheers
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The car probably has a 3-pin temperature switch on the radiator to operate the fans.
Pin 1 is earth, pin 3 switches on the low speed, and pins 2 & 3 shorted to earth must turn on the high speed.
Try shorting pin 3 to earth, and if that works, the sensor switch is faulty.
Stories here:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6857

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19090
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389