Wiffy Picasso Air-Con

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb

Wiffy Picasso Air-Con

Post by stevieb »

Strange one this one. Probably more a bodywork question than an air-con one.

My cousin has a Xsara Picasso with an air-con system that seems to emit the smell of the morning after the night before (finished with a visit to the tandoori house) - if you catch my drift - when the engine is turned off and the fan stops. I haven't experienced this phenomenon yet, but have been told in great detail of the precise nature of the odour.

My 406, and my uncles Xantia both leave little puddles of water (condensation) from the air-con whenever we've been stood. However, this Picasso doesn't.

Does it sound like a blocked drain somewhere? It's not something I've had dealings with before, so it's all a bit of a mystery. If it is a blocked drain, where is it? It was serviced at a local garage a week or so ago, and they could find nothing. The carpets aren't getting wet, but turning the heater on causes the windscreen to steam up quickly (on the inside - not on the outside like a good air-con system).

Any guesses?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Sounds like the A/C filter is contaminated. Change it and see if that solves the problem. :-)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

James.UK wrote:Sounds like the A/C filter is contaminated. Change it and see if that solves the problem. :-)
Cheers James, I'm assuming you mean the pollen filter...?

This has been changed, but the car was run with it completely removed and the smell remained.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds a bit like the drain could be blocked and the defrost water is running under the underfelt under the carpets so won't be found until the carpets have been physically removed.
The smell is most likely a bacterial build up which can not only destroy the carpet but isn't all that good for your health, in fact in a tropical climate you could be literally flirting with death if the legonella bacteria were to get into it.
I'd suggest ripping the carpets out, getting them steam cleaned and then try to find where the drain is and clear it out before refitting the carpet.
An anti bacterial spray on the carpets and underlay, in the pollen filter and if possible into the cooling coil area of the air con would all be good precautions.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

a chap i work with had the same problem with is renault scenic.

he took it to the dealer and they said the smell is caused by a build up od bacteria in the vent ducts behind the dash, at a low point where moisture can collect.

all they did is spray and aerosol anti bacterial spray down the vents and that sorted it.

my collegue now does this once a month or so to keep the smells at bay.......
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Can you buy a spray called "Glen 20" over there?

This is what airlines use as well as air con companies in cases wher legionella can be a problem.
It deoderises as well as being an anti bacterial and is used in the trade.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!