c5 brake squeal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

c5 brake squeal

Post by civvie »

Hi all, hot isn't it ( not applicable if reading this on a winters evening) My c5 is suffering from the dreaded brake squeal, and I intend to remove the rear wheels and clean the pads up and copperslip them, are there any special gems I am likely to encounter. I remember when I did this on an old renault years ago the caliper had to be screwed in (not pushed) and the bleed screw had to be loosened so the fluid would not be forced the wrong way into the abs and bugger that up, is this still a valid question. What size is the torx screw holding the caliper? I assume its torx and not another special tool.
I did try and do a search but I have never had much luck using this search engine, always seemed to get items not linked to my questions.

thanks

Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Brakes service is much like previous generation Citroens : front caliper pistons MUST be screwed in - rear brakes caliper pistons can be pressed in.
Note that the C5 is a hydraulic Citroen with a completely conventional Brakes system : DOT brake fluid, vacuum servo and master cylinder.

The hydraulic system present is for suspension and power steering ONLY.

The pHp based board's search machine requires at least 3 letters as search string. You cant search on "C5" alone.
Should be quite a few C5 threads on brakes. Try "C5 brakes" as search string.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Dead simple job this. The pads have to long bolts holding them in, one at the top and bottom. IIRC they have 12mm heads. Get a new set of pads as the old ones will probably be knackered. Copper slip the backs of the pads and make sure you put the anti squeal shims back in. Also copper slip the mating surface of the hub as the alloys tens to have a habit of sticking. Both sides should take no longer than an hour tops.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

It would be worth checking the calipers very carefully, as they tend to corrode on the mounting face and push themselves out of line. I had a hell of a job to get the bolts undone when I did the job for the first time last year, and found the calipers heavily corroded.
My advice would be to buy a set of mounting bolts before doing the job, certainly I am going to make it part of the annual maintenance schedule.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

c5 brake squeal

Post by civvie »

Thanks for the answers pleased I only have to push the caliper in, I take it I still have to release the bleed screw.
Anders. I did exactly as you said for the search, it came up with 622 matches, some of them were about buying an XM, one was about xantia suspension, and one about aircon, gave up then.

Steve
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: c5 brake squeal

Post by JohnD »

[quote="civvie What size is the torx screw holding the caliper? I assume its torx and not another special tool.

Steve[/quote]

TNo torx heads - they are just normal bolts with 16mm hex heads but extremely tight because they are smeared with Loctite down the length.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1