Citroen C3 potentiometer?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

Citroen C3 potentiometer?

Post by drpau »

My mum has just got a Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v (under my advisement!), put your foot on the accelerator and nothing much seems to happen and then it takes off like a scalded cat. On my Xsara HDi I tightened up the throttle cable potetiometer and this really sharpened up the response upon putting my foot on the accelerator. The thing is, I cant seem to see the potentiometer-throttle cable in the C3, my question is, does anyone know where it is? Theres not that much room in the engine bay and its not immediately obvious to me. :(

Other than the above its a really nice little motor, 92hp and its the Exclusive model so has a few nice extras like cruise control and climate control!

Any help much appreciated folks,

Cheers

Paul
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There is no cable,the potentiometer is directly on the pedal
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I believe the C3 has the adaptive ECU - and then it memorises the driving pattern after a while.
You simply need to reset the memory - how to do that I dont know. But look in the owners handbook.
I *think* you should consult your mum before you do any tricks. She might have a different opinion.

(PS : not all parents appreciate to find their lawn mower race tuned :lol: )
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
XantiaJon
My Cars:

Post by XantiaJon »

I had a C3 16 valve 1.4 diesel on loan for 3 months, it certainly was quick, that lag seemed pretty normal, took a bit of getting used to.
Xantia HDI 90, W reg. 80000 Miles.
Peugeot 205 GRD, E reg! Speedo stuck at 411000 miles! Still going strong
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

:lol:

If the Pot is on the accelerator itself then there is nothing to adjust then. :(

Her car before this was a 98 Fiesta 1.4 16V (90hp), which pulled strong from low revs (and she has got used to it being nippy at the lights etc), whereas this is the opposite but once you get to about 2500rpm it pulls nicely. Maybe she will just have to get used to dialling in a few revs before pulling out, otherwise I expect to see some suprised/petrified faces of oncoming traffic when she pulls out onto the motorway roundabout at 0.5mph :shock: , then the revs build up to 2500 and she roars off into the sunset! :lol:

Maybe unplugging the battery leads would reset it- there isnt anything in the manual about it. Or maybe it will gradually adapt to the different style? Did it seem to do that for you XantiaJon?

Cheers
Paul
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Just unplug the battery & leave it for 30 minutes & then see if that improves it.

After you reconnect the battery, Wait a minute, Lock & unlock the car then turn the ignition on.

Start it up, It will run a bit rough as it relearns the base settings for about 15 miles & then see what happens with the throttle.

As its a C3 & multiplexed you dont have a radio code to worry about :wink:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What you describe sounds like normal behavior for the 16v HDi diesel.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with wheeler, the charactaristics of a diesel engine are very different from a petrol. When you are used to driving a petrol car a diesel can be a bit of a shock! but once you get used to it, its a much more relaxed style of driving as you dont have to do nearly as much gear changing, a petrol engine will not pull at low revs like a diesel.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Peter.N. wrote:I would agree with wheeler, the charactaristics of a diesel engine are very different from a petrol. When you are used to driving a petrol car a diesel can be a bit of a shock! but once you get used to it, its a much more relaxed style of driving as you dont have to do nearly as much gear changing, a petrol engine will not pull at low revs like a diesel.
I appreciate that, but it just seems a lot more 'off/on' compared with how my 2.0 HDi was when I first got it. The Xsara seemed more progressive in terms of accel , whereas the C3 seems more 'on' or 'off' if you see what Im saying. Like how people often describe the PSA 1.9 TD.

Ill try the unplug of battery and see what happens and report back, see if any adaptation has occured!

Paul :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry, I didn't appreciate that you were familier with diesels :oops:. Never having had an electronically managed one myself I dont know how they should feel, but I am sure there must be something in the electronics that can programmed to change the throttle response. I am sure someone will come along and tell you about it :)
Last edited by Peter.N. on 03 Jul 2006, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Why not also try & have a go in another car with the same engine, See if it drives the same as yours :wink: