front suspension not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smiffy47

front suspension not working

Post by smiffy47 »

My front supsension is rock solid. The rear works OK. I noticed the LHM fluid was way down & there was a warning light on. Couldn't get any LHM (it's a Sunday) and noticed on this forum that someone used motor oil instead as a quick fix, so I put some of that in but to no effect. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. I'm not much of a mechanic, actually I'm no sort of mechanic, so don't fancy doing anything drastic myself.
The car drives, but very bumpily. Is the car safe to drive? I'm in Derby and have to get back home to London!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It sounds like the linkage to the front height corrector has come loose or broke, it may just be the plastic ball link that has poped off, common on Xantia's though more so on the rear.
Has the front end raised up more than normal, if not it may just be a sphere failure.
With the front suspension solid it is definately not safe to drive, on a bumpy surface in a bend it could bounce accross the road, and hitting a pothole could shove a strutt up through the bonnet.
Hope you are in a breakdown club.
Dave
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the hydraulic fluid level suddenly fell when the stop light first appeared, as Dave says, it could point to a blown sphere. You're right about using engine oil in an emergency, providing it's fairly thin. When you finally get your problem sorted, it would be as well to get the system drained and flushed.
smiffy47

Post by smiffy47 »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the suspension is raised up more than normal. AA ride home. Looks like I've work to do. No doubt I'll find the info on this forum.