Rubbing/Chafing noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Rubbing/Chafing noise

Post by Fox »

Since I purchased my Xantia in June, I have had a noise from the front passenger side of the car. It's sort of a clicking/rubbing/chafing sound which I don't hear all the time - usually when going over an uneven surface, or cornering, or driving up hill. My accumulator sphere needs replacing and the 'click click' when the engine is idle seems to come from the same place, so I've just assumed it was that and that it'd go away when I got round to replacing the sphere.
However reading back over a few old threads I've begun to wonder if perhaps its something else. I've seen people mention 'cv joints' etc. Does anyone know what the problem could be, and likely cost to get it fixed? Does it need fixing?
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
147,500 miles
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This sounds as though it could be a CV joint that's on it's way out. Sometimes you can hear and feel the click when the wheel is jacked up and turned gently back and forth. DIY you're looking at around £60 and a morning's work.
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

I had a similar noise from the nearside wheel arch, it could be heard at idle to be coming from the end of the gearbox. The final nut which is behind the gearbox cover wasn't as tight as it should have been and was wearing on the inside face of the cover. Gaz
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

What's the best way to check to see if its the CV joint?
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
147,500 miles