Proverbial overheating! 405 TD 1996 Est.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amjake

Proverbial overheating! 405 TD 1996 Est.

Post by amjake »

Hi all

Forgive me if this is an obvious query and result found elsewhere.

Had some long trips over this weekend 500 mls Preston and back, and today a 180 London and back (went thru the 190,000 today!!) and a week ago 500 Preston and back, daughter finishing at Uni so had to visit and see work then collect all as finished plus one more trip to do in 2 weeks time for graduation! Sorry to waffle on.

Anyway in traffic jams temp goes up to the 110 degs and only once did STOP come on, switched on heater to get rid of some of the heat then it went off but only on todays trip it occured to me that the rad fans were not coming on even after stopping and switching off.

Not being a mechanic, just checked the fuse, when cool all levels and all OK.

What should I look at next? Is it a straight forward problem to sort?

Cheers

Kevin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Does it have aircon ?
- as then you could try if both fan comes on as soon as the a/c is turned on. If not - you have a problem with the Bitron sensor.

If no a/c - then both fans should come on at low speed when engine has idled for 5-10 min's in this summer temp.
If they dont - and instead comes on at high speed - and you get the overtemp light briefly - then its the radiator thermoswitch at fault.
It looks like a big clumpsy sensor screwed into the end tank of the radiator - some 2/3 down the height of the tank.
3 heavy gauge wires are running to/fro the thermoswitch.

By trying the possible combinations with these 3 wires - shortcircuiting them in pairs should bring on the fans at either low or high speed.
Note : these wires are the "low" side of the fan motors - dont worry if they hit chassis earth - it will just bring on the fans. Nothing else happens - apart from some sparking.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks anders

On further checks we found 30a fuse on front wing blown, replaced fans all working but fuses don't blow without reason!

Does have aircon which is u/s at moment due to stone hit and hole on condensor which requires replacement.

Garage ran checks, but requires further investigation! He has had similar probs in past and was frayed/broken wiring on sensors on thermostat.

Cheers for advice, will keep posted.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

there was a mod to uprate the fuses from 30 amp to 40 amp ones,on initial start up the fans draw more than 30 amps hence blowing fuses
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks pugexpert

will do up the fuse and pass on to my garage.

Funny tho' with all this heat and numerous drives with sitting in stationary traffic the fans have been working as normal.

Shame about the aircon tho!!!!

Cheers

kevin