Cambelt change ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Cambelt change ???

Post by DaveW »

My son owns a Xantia LX, 1.8 16 valve facelift model, X reg (2000).
It has now done 50,000 miles and when I suggested it might be time for a new timing belt he said that the dealer he bought it off reckoned that this is not due until 80K !

I'm not familiar with the petrol engines - I've only owned (older) Citroen diesels - but to me this seems to be a high mileage for a bit of rubber impregnated fabric.

What do you think/suggest ?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Given that the belt is now 6 years old, and that if it fails you have a biiiig problem, I'd change it.

50k is a nice compromise in my opinion. Not leaving it too long, but also not changing it every 5 minutes. It's also a really easy interval to remember. 50k, 100k 150k etc.
This is not a signature.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Agree -

Always replace cambelt when 5 years old - whatever mileage.
Haynes Xantia manual : at 36Kmiles / 60Kkm replace cambelt on petrol engines.
50kmiles (80Kkm) is defo not in any way overdoing it or trashing service money.
80Kmiles (128Kkm) is really stretching the budget & limits - playing in the lotteri of new engine or not :roll:

The really nasty thing is that you cannot visually inspect the condition of the cambelt - unless obvious problems are seen. This could be a chafed belt because it runs against edges - if the water pump is worn and axle is tilted.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The recommended interval may be 80k miles but the belt should be changed after 5 years even if it hasn't reached the mileage it should have been replaced at.

As F&F above has said, if it snaps it'll be expensive, bent valves would be the easiest you'd get off with on a 16 valve engine. The belt itself costs under £20, you can get a belt changed by a garage for £100-£150, changing the belt is far cheaper than replacing an engine.

As Anders says, you can't tell what life a belt has by looking at it. A perfect looking belt can often snap, I've seen snapped belts that are in perfect condition and not snapped. On the other hand I've seen some fairly ragged belts remain intact but I'd not be happy finding one in poor condition in my engine!
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the input.
I am aware of the likely results of a failed belt, not long ago did the one on my TD, but as I said I'm not familiar with the petrol engines in the later models.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon