Can you put Hydractive II onto a BMW.e30?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Can you put Hydractive II onto a BMW.e30?

Post by deian »

I know this is a rather odd question and not so Citroen like as we'd all hope but it is Hydractive based... but what is the possibility of putting hydropneumatic suspension on a rear wheel drive BMW e30 (old 3 series)?

Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Everything is possible.
But defo a totally nutty project :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

Yes, i think i would do it at some point in my life, i know the e30 inside out, i have yet to learn about the quirkyness of french design, i guess it's all about the suspension set up and how physics will affect the body movement and so on.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Just get the main hydraulics for the suspension, 4 rear rams and spheres to suit and you're done! 8considering the old E30 hasn't got a mcpherson strut-type suspension)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
deian

Post by deian »

So maybe it would ride smoother like the CX does! But be a killer on the corners. I know what the e30 is capable of (325i) and I loved it. Just wondering about the more technical things like where to put the height correctors and hydaulic pumps, anyway, this is a french car forum, so i may go to the bmwe30 forum to pick their brains.
Amazon Activa

Post by Amazon Activa »

deian wrote:So maybe it would ride smoother like the CX does! But be a killer on the corners. I know what the e30 is capable of (325i) and I loved it. Just wondering about the more technical things like where to put the height correctors and hydaulic pumps, anyway, this is a french car forum, so i may go to the bmwe30 forum to pick their brains.
I am sure it would ride smooth, but it would not be a killer on the corners. Xantias are notorious for leaning on corners. The only way you would be able to make it corner well in my opinion is either stick with the normal suspension or fit the Activa suspension.
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

Nissan 300zx TT (94k)
Citroen BX Estate 19RD (197k)

Citroen Xantia Activa (Gone, but never forgotten)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Not wanting to put too much of a dampener on this idea, but not only would that sort of conversion require some serious engineering, I really don't think you'd gain anything.

Remember that manufacturers spend hundereds of thousands of pounds developing suspension systems such that they work properly. Drive any cheaply designed Kit car to know just how bad things can be when you simply put one car's suspension in another car. You must remember that all hydropneumatically suspended cars are front wheel drive, so you could just end up making something undriveable.

It would be either a massively expensive, or a very time consuming project, and at the end of the day would be a BMW that didn't handle as well, but might be a bit smoother.
This is not a signature.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

why bother? just buy a citroen! :x
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

You can do what Cit did with the BTCC ( ? ) Xantiae: from what' i've read, the simpe HP suspension was considered an active suspension, so Citroën put a tap on the hydraulic circuit and when in the pit, or before the race, fluid was pumped to the circuit (no HC) to give the desired height. So what do you get in the car? 4 spheres, 4 rams and 2 hydraulic connectors for feeding (1 for the rear, 1 for the front). No acc sphere, and the pump is at the pit.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I believe this is what they did on the WRC cars as well-and they didn't pay Alex Moulton any royalties, either, the cheeky sods!!