Bouncy suspension....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Bouncy suspension....

Post by Crinkle Cut Jasper »

Hi,

have recently got a 1995 xantia sx 1.9td. 8)

I have noticed that when i first start the car it takes about 2 minutes for the stop light to go out and the car to rise to normal position. This also occurs when i put it to 'high' - often taking maybe 3 mins.

The car suspension also seems very 'bouncy' when it is at normal position - (ie. when i press down on the bonnet or boot it seems very bouncy). The car also seems to be correcting itself a lot when I am driving it - ie. when I am at the lights and have the handbrake on it rises at the back slightly.

I compared this to a friends car who has a xantia - same model and year, and found his car to be much firmer. His xantia also rises from lowest to normal in about 20 seconds.

any advice on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I sound like a doofus! :roll:

Cheers
Jas
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If its a 1995 model then it will have anti-sink.

If its taking 2 minutes for the stop light to go out then you definately have a problem. A few possibilities:

1) Air leak on the inlet hose for the hydraulic pump causing it to lose its prime when left standing and take some time to pump up. (Check for cracks or loose clamps at both ends of the hose)

2) Flat accumulator sphere

3) High amounts of internal leakage somewhere in the hydraulic system.

4) Faulty hydraulic pump

Perhaps a combination of some of the above. If you have an air leak on the pump inlet side (or the pump itself for that matter) allowing air bubbles into the hydraulic system, that can also cause a harsh bouncy ride.

The ride being too soft and bouncy could also be due to the wrong spheres being fitted, if you find the part code numbers on them and tell us someone can look them up.

Going from normal height to high should not bring the stop light back on again either.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Mandrake, the softness/hardness of the ride is controlled solely by the spheres, the only way it could be different is different spec spheres. Maybe you have non hydractive ones?

On the slow rise problem, another thing to check is the hydraulic pump drive belt tension, they can look tight but still slip.