citroen xm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monico

citroen xm

Post by monico »

hi everyone
i would like to buy an XM 2.0 ct turbo 1997.
the car didnt move & worked for about a year(a bank auction)
what should i take in acount except battery?
thanks, moni
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi moni -

Check engine oil & coolant fluid BEFORE you even attempt starting the engine :shock:
Check hydraulic fluid level before driving off - as this is also the brakes fluid ! Use the special Citroen hydraulic stuff LHM - ONLY - or the complete hydraulic system is damaged. Made by most oil manufacturers (Shell, BP, etc etc).
let the engine idle while you check the engine bay to catch any obvious problems before you hit the road.

From then on its the usual careful first driving af a vehicle in unknown condition. First stop is a gas station to check tyre inflation - info found on drivers door pillar.

Please note that the red STOP light is no funny games in a Citroen. Its meant as a serrious and true warning to the driver that something MUST be taken care of before driving on :roll:
Ignoring it may cost you a new engine - or a no brakes event :idea:

Good luck - hope you win the auction at a fair price :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

Check timing belt too, if your good at your hands try to get a cover off and just quickly check it's condition. If you want to check the whole lot, disconnect the fuel pump fuse/relay so you can turn the engine (to see different parts of the timing belt) on the starter without starting it.

On a car that hasn't been on the road for a while the head gasket may also start to fail, no obvious way to test this except for a compression test.

Personally if i had any doubts i'd put it on a trailer and tow it home to make sure there will be no detremental damage driving it home (i.e timing belt snapping).

Good luck
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Moni.. I feel obliged to ask as I can't tell from your profile.. are you diy minded with a fair to good set of tools? these cars are wonderful and rewarding to drive, but can be challenging when trying to fault find and repair. A car that has sat for a year should really cost you very little (ignore the wh smith-bought price guides and don't get carried away with your bidding) I love my 93tdsx xant, but it would not be a practical proposition unless I serviced and repaired it myself... Having said all that, don't let me steal your dream!!! A lot of people still wonder what on earth it is that you're driving. Best wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Again, I would agree that hydraulic citroens are excellent cars. However they are really only a viable option if you are prepared to keep on top of them, be prepared to spend a little more on maintenance and try to understand how it all works!
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree. I am on my 4th XM now, have been running them for 10 + years, but wouldn't be able to afford to if I didnt do my owm maintenance