2002/2003 C5 estate - good buy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DanielB

2002/2003 C5 estate - good buy?

Post by DanielB »

Chaps,
I potentially might be looking at a getting a C5 estate, diesel more than likely.

Are they a bag of problems, or are they generally ok?

Which HDI variant should I go for/avoid?

Cheers

Dan
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Dan,

I know a couple of guys who have them out here and are absolutely rapt in them.
Great car, well screwed together that rides well and gives heaps of power and great economy.
If I had the money/need to buy another car, I'd buy one in a heartbeat based on experience of others.
I believe the very early ones had their problems but once you hit about 02 onwards it's been all good news.
There have been a couple who have been a bit critical of niggling issues and then they have been without the car for a few days due to it having to go in for routine maintenance who have suddenly woke up to what they're missing when the features suddenly disappear; that usually jolts them back to the reality of what a beaut car they really are.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I find the face lift models such an upgrade in looks so if I had the money to which I really dont I would have to buy a brand new one.

In fact if I had the money I would own an example of every Citroen car produced.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

Thanks Alan and Mez,

That's good news about the later model, I know the early ones had a very bad reputation.

Over here Alan, a low mile 2002 model can be had for circa 5.5K!

I'm guessing a 2.0Hdi would be sufficient, and maybe the pick of the bunch?

Agreed, I prefer the styling of the new one too, but not enough to pay the current price difference.

Cheers

Dan
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

We are very happy with ours. Lot's of room for passengers and a huuuuge boot to accomodate all you can think of (i've been moving my room on her :P ). The suspension button at the boot is wonderfull for loading, etc, etc.
Sure, early models, until mid of 2002 aprox. ad their things, like any new production car has until the factory irons them out.
The 2.0HDI is extremely smooth troughout the rev range, but the car is a bit heavy for 100bhp if one wants to move a bit faster. Nothing a reprogramming of the ECU won't take care for.
If you want a new look C5, you'll need a new hood, front lights (not directional for simplicity), and bumper. The side wings are the same. These was the first things i checked out when i saw the facelift model live, just in case i wanted a "new" C5 :D
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dan,

There's a couple of threads where NP was talking about buying a 406 HDi - PowerLee and Wheeler (Pug and Cit techs I think) gave the view that the general impression was that the 2.0 110 was a better drive than the 2.2 HDi 136 - despite the extra power. The only real thing to watch out for is the dual mass flywheel disintegrating - any hint of a squeak on starting / stopping the engine seems to be first sign, and replacement is a sooner rather than later affair - and not cheap!

I reckon the estate looks better than the hatch, and is by all accounts huge inside. I'll probably be looking to replace the Xantia with one in 12 months time.

Heard yesterday that they are set to come with a new twin turbo 170 bhp 2.2 HDi , and also possibly the 210 bhp 2.7 V6 HDi. Now either of those would be fun!
Richard W
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

Thankyou both,
Richard, sorry to be a dunce, but who is NP?

The Hatch is just too forgettable, estate all the way if I am to have one.

Looks like it might be worth spending that bit more to get an 03 model then, bit being the operative word.

Is the SX the spec to go for?
Roof bars would be useful, and maybe even a towbar - for carrying bikes on a rack rather than towing.

Cheers

Dan
meeper
My Cars:

Post by meeper »

SX model has better spec that later VTR: it includes the climate control. However the 110 2.0HDI SX had some things missing compared to the 2.2HDI SX such as ESP and the full on hydractive 3 sport mode in the suspension. If you move up to the Exclusive or even better exclusive SE, the 2.0 HDI then misses out on I think heated seats compared to the 2.2 as well as the sport mode.

The electric leather seats in the exclusive do make it very comfy.

Check that the boot window on the estate opens properly, often known to go wrong where the wires of the control are done as part of the rear screen glass.

Check if there is a boot floor net, reversible boot carpet, vertical load net (in a roller behind the rear seats) on second hand ones, as they can go walkies and are quite useful.

2.2 manual estate gives me 37 to 42 mpg depending on conditions. 2.0 110 should be better, and others have said doesn't feel much slower. 2.2 does feel quite ponderous

In 2003 I think the 2.2 went from a 5 to a 6 speed box, sat nav also changed so controls are integrated to the radio, maybe more fiddly than the older ones next to the hand brake.

I think I've got the 2002 and 2003 spec sheets somewhere if you need to know more.

Cheers,

M.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

Thankyou kindly :D

Richard W - you didn't used to own a White Phase II 16v did you?
EDIT: Dejavu, I think I've asked you that q before, and I think the answer was 'no' before?!

Dan