Xantia Cooling Fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Xantia Cooling Fans

Post by windysurferuk »

Hi I know there are lots of post already about this topic but I just can's seem to find a good one to follow so here goes

The car is a Xantia 2.1 TD with aircon r reg

When I trun the aircon on the fans are not spinning at low speed.
If I pull the brown plug near the thremastat housing only the passenger side fan spins at full speed.

I have remove the front grill and had a quick look at the relays and given them a clean but still only one fans spins.
All three of the relays seem to be of exactly the same spec so I tried swapping them about (randomly) but still only the passenger side fan would spin.

This is as far as I have been able to follow any of the threads.

What should I do next. :?:

Is it worth replacing all the relays to rule them out ?

cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

When at low speed the 2 fans are serial connected by the relays mentioned. When at high speed the fans are both powered directly off the +12V line and earth.

Since the both seems "dead" at low speed - it is the one fan at standstill on high speed that is the problem. Either the fan motor itself or the wiring.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

thanks for the reply

How do I tell which?

Is there a way to get 12 volts stright to the none spinning fan?

Can I change the fan without removing the rad?
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

You should be able to get the fans out through the front once the grill is removed - see :

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19248

If you remove the relay that is on your right as you look at them, with the ignition OFF, there should be 12V on pin 1 of the relay socket.
This is the relay that switches the fans to series mode to give low speed operation.
The pin numbers are marked on the relays adjacent to the pins (the white plastic bit)

More info here (two pages):

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... c&start=15

and here :

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
primo

Post by primo »

Quick way to check...

Remove the grille. With aircon ON and engine running, give the offside fan a sharp tap on the nose of the fan spinner with a stout screwdriver or similar. If it starts to work the the problem is probably corrosion on the contact. (It's probably corrosion even if it doesn't work).
Remove the offside fan motor, 3 x 10mm nuts on the reverse I think, and check the contacts where it plugs into the loom connector. Clean them thoroughly. It's awkward but you can get the motor off without taking the bumper off.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

citronut

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

simple if you're double jointed,i have done these on air con car,trough front grill,if your fan has a screw in centre this is left hand thread,so instead of lefty loosy righty tighty its righty loosy lefty tighty,then withdraw fan/s from motor spindle/s,cant remeber if its 8 or 10 mm nuts and bolts,whichever it is i used a 1/4 drive ratchet and a spanner,you can just about get in there,undo three on each motor,then ease motor away from mounting point,the plug stays attached to front panel regards malcolm
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

thanks again for the replies.

Cars just having a new timing belt fitted so I'll get stuck into this at the weekend and report back

cheers
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Thanks for the replies guys

I followed primo's advice and give it a tap with a hammer! which got the fans spinning again.After a few more taps!! with the hammer the fans now comes on when it is meant to

It looks like a real pain to get the fan moter off from the front so hopefully it will be OK.

Once again this forum makes owning a Citroen a bit more bearable

cheers