Xantia Accumulator Sphere Seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Xantia Accumulator Sphere Seal

Post by Quackers »

Does anybody else find these last about a year then just go?

I have had 3 Xantias now and i've replaced many times the seal on the accumulator sphere(that O ring rubber thingy), it just breaks. Last august i changed all the spheres on my Activa, this week, the seal broke on the accumulator sphere.

Am i doing somthing wrong? How long do they last for everyone else?
Amazon Activa

Post by Amazon Activa »

I have had my Activa for over two years and not had a problem. Front and rears were changed around a year ago, but no leaks from it.
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

Nissan 300zx TT (94k)
Citroen BX Estate 19RD (197k)

Citroen Xantia Activa (Gone, but never forgotten)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Maybe you're overtightening it- it should be fitted hand tight only,spin it on like an oil filter until it stops, and thats it.

Make sure the mating faces are clean, there's no trace of old seal stuck anywhere, and don't use any tools!!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Make sure you use the proper square section seal (not the round O-ring supplied with some aftermarket spheres), lube it with LHM and fit it to the sphere mount, NOT the sphere. Should last forever.
Richard W
Quackers

Post by Quackers »

RichardW wrote:Make sure you use the proper square section seal (not the round O-ring supplied with some aftermarket spheres), lube it with LHM and fit it to the sphere mount, NOT the sphere. Should last forever.
Now i am lost. I buy my spheres from GSF and i just use the seal that comes with them. Where do i get this special square seal?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Pleiades do them- see sticky thread. The groove the seal sits in is square in section, and the correct seal sits in it nicely.

Edit- sticky thread now come unstuck and gone......
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Pleiades gone to the 'Useful links' pages:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19218

There's also still Citroën that does the seals.
Part Nº 527215, called ‘square seal’.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your spheres were new from GSF they probably came with the correct seal. Its quite distinctive as it is square in section - and as has been stated must be fitted in the socket (regulator or strut) rather than round the sphere neck. If it is fitted round the neck it will be pinched and possibly cut - then after 6 months or so it may start to drip.

Some recon spheres are supplied with a large 'O' ring instead. I had a pair of front ones and an accumulator like this. The accumulator lasted a month or less and the fronts 1 year - but the 'O' rings were no problem.

Is your accumulator sphere still OK? - a flat one could cause very strong pulses of pressure in that area which might cause a drip.
jeremy
Quackers

Post by Quackers »

jeremy wrote:If your spheres were new from GSF they probably came with the correct seal. Its quite distinctive as it is square in section - and as has been stated must be fitted in the socket (regulator or strut) rather than round the sphere neck. If it is fitted round the neck it will be pinched and possibly cut - then after 6 months or so it may start to drip.

Some recon spheres are supplied with a large 'O' ring instead. I had a pair of front ones and an accumulator like this. The accumulator lasted a month or less and the fronts 1 year - but the 'O' rings were no problem.

Is your accumulator sphere still OK? - a flat one could cause very strong pulses of pressure in that area which might cause a drip.
Yeah the sphere is still OK, ticking every 30 seconds. I've got another one to fit tonight to my V6 Xantia, that one is ticking like every 1 second, a bit dangerous and annoying, ordered yesterday.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I never noticed the shape of the section of the seals, I just used the ones that GSF provided, hmm perhaps thats something I may check on Sunday when we do the service with my BIL.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Quackers

Post by Quackers »

Well, after 2 hours of trying, i cannot get the sphere off, not because its stuck, but on the 3.0 V6 its like so hard to get to the presure release screw its not even funny! Looks like you need a special spanner. So could not depreasure the system. Not as easy as when i did it on my 2.0 SX or Activa :?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

As others have pointed out the seal will last the lifetime of the sphere, and then some without leaking. They don't "just" fail without a good reason.

I regularly reuse the same square section seal if a new one isnt available and I've NEVER had one leak, ever.

There is some debate about the merits of the o-ring type and the square section type - Citroen themselves used an o-ring type seal on the DS, but later switched over to using a square section seal, so go figure.

If you look at a cross sectional drawing of how the cylinder/sphere interface fits together its pretty clear that a square section seal will give a more reliable seal with more sealing area and better mechanical stability under pressure. (It fills up the entire cavity, the o-ring type doesnt)

With any seal the trick is to lube it before fitting and always fit it to the cylinder, not around the sphere neck. Fit it around the sphere neck and you're guarenteed to pinch it.

This is where the square section seals excel - trying to put an o-ring seal on a cylinder that is lying horizontal (like the pressure regulator on a Xantia) or upside down and expecting it to stay in position while you get the sphere on is nearly impossible. It's likely to fall slightly out of position and get pinched.

The square section seals on the other hand will grip the cylinder and stay in place while you put the sphere on even if its upside down.

I'm also supicious of the quality and material of the o-rings supplied by the 3rd party sphere suppliers - who knows whether they're made with the right material or to the precise dimensions ???

If you get a new sphere and it comes with an o-ring type seal you're MUCH better off re-using your original green square section seal in my opinion. Just check it for any signs of damage, (there wont be, unless it got pinched) lube it with LHM, fit it to the cylinder recess and you'll have no problems.

Citroen's recomendation to replace the seal with every sphere change is exceptionally cautious, and does assume of course that you're replacing it with their recommended square section seals :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive