Failed MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

Failed MOT

Post by mallyg »

Just taken my M Reg Xantia 1.8i dimension for MOT and it failed on a couple of things. Among the failed items is:- Offside handbrake lever mechanical brake component has restricted free movement and Offside rear brake recording little or no effort.On the advisry notice is a the statement Parking brake. Your vehicle has only just met the required park brake efficiency. I assume the items are linked together but not being mechanically minded can anyone give me any ideas :(

Thanks
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hand brake lever not returning to fully off position is usualy either the outer
cable cracked and holding the lever on,or the lever needs lubricating inside the rubber boot on the rear of the caliper,first ly unhook the cable from the lever on the caliper to see if it returns to the fully off position
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"I assume the items are linked together"

Unlikely, since the Xantia handbrake is on the front wheels... :lol:

most likely cause of the rear brakes not working is corrosion between the arm and caliper causing it to twist, followed by the whole lot sezing up. I had to remove the caliper and saw the pads in half to get them out on my previous one....
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

oops yes richard i missed the bit about the rear brake,and to add to what you say it could also be air in the system
regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Rear brakes have a tendancy to sieze because they are hardly ever used in normal driving.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and as they dont have pad low warnig light they get forgotten about
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Servicing the brakes should be done at least once a year - exactly to avoid such a MOT failure - and to prolong the usable service life of all components. Not speaking of the secure feeling that you KNOW its been serviced :shock:

Its a basic DIY job - easy to teach yourself. First time you simply stock a complete service kit including all 4 discs, pads, pads fitting kits, handbrake cables & alupaste.
Then you are 99% prepared to catch up with all wear related problems. Any items not used will be at hand at next regular service then.

You will however get dirty hands to save the £££'s else spent on a garage bill.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

thanks all

Unfortunatley i have a disability prevents me from working with my hands, on items such as this, is anyone in the sconthorpe area who would be willing to help take on the repair. all expenses paid of course and reasonable remuneration. I need it doing before the 26th of this month as MOT runs out then. and i need the car Monday to Friday to get to work so weekends would be great. OH Yeah the first 'O' in Sconthorpe shoud be a 'U' but i will leave you to work out the reason why
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension