My turn with the C5...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

My turn with the C5...

Post by 406 V6 »

Ok, this thing is driving me nuts, completely.
It's summer and i can't drive with the windows opened, and the radio has to be turned on.
All this because of a £@$# (you name it...) squeak coming from the n/s (british n/s ;) ) of the car, that's inconstant. It's not dependent of speed, road state, braking applyed, etc. It's there as long as you're driving.
It's like the brake squeal you get sometimes; When i changed the pads last November, the brakes squealed a lot, but a LOT until i drove the car for some 5.000kms. It still does it sometimes.
I though, after inspecting the front underpan of the car i had found the problem: when they replaced the washer pump last time, the bumper was dislodged only on one side, i when i pressed the bumper, it squeaked; the front inside cover of the wheel arch has too some play. But IT'S STILL THERE!!!!
I have noticed that it squeaks a bit more when the steering wheel is facing to the right during normal driving, i.e, if i on a straight road, make a small sharp movement of the steering, or go into a curve to the right, the squeaking/squealing (it's the same to me) appears.
Today i took her for wheel alignment and calibration, and told the techie if he could check it out while she was on the elevator. Nothing was found that could be the cause, there was no risk of some parts rubbing on each other, nothing with the steering rack/ARB drop links...
Now, for a couple of wheeks, o can hear a kind of a loud snap/clonk, when the steering is at full lock and i drive into our house when the gate opens. It's not the pads going to the front again and clonking, they do that, but they make only a quiet clonk sound.

Please, don't tell me the solution is getting ear plugs or playing the radio louder...

Thank you guys :)

Edit: if you wish i may try to make a small film with the digital camera. all i need it the *** of the C5 to be quiet that day....
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: My turn with the C5...

Post by JohnD »

[quote="406 V6"]
It's like the brake squeal you get sometimes; quote]

Could it be due to a buildup of corrosion between calliper and arm and pushing the calliper towards the disc?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Hi 406 V6 I had exactly the same problem. I pin pointed the noise to be coming from the rear drivers side wheel. I took the wheels off to find that the brake pads had started to disintegrate, as a result the outside pads were stuck and both discs had started to rust on the outside face only, the inside pads were totally worn out.

You need to clean the calipers of all the crud that has built up and then fit new pads, make sure you apply plenty of copper slip to the back of the pads and also to the back of the shim. Its also worth applying copper slip to the hub assembly before putting the wheels back on as they can really stick themselves on :lol: Hope this helps.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I'll take a look at the calipers this weekend, if time and mood permits...
The rear pads were replaced by the same time as the fronts, and i payed for some pad springs too (24€!) as the mechanic told me it could be the cause :(
Francisco
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

One update:
Remember the clonk i told about? Well, she made it today when parking the car inline. I turned to direction to right, reversed, and when i started to straighten the wheels, it made the loud clonk again...It seems to point out to the droplinks, but they are very tight fitted!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Francisco
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Could it be brake pads that are moving up and down in the calliper?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

No, not the pads;, they clonk but not that loud! (neither should they clonk when i don't press the pedal)
Francisco