Citroen AX just stopped working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomthered
My Cars:

Citroen AX just stopped working

Post by tomthered »

My stepson has the above car. He was driving along when it suddenly cut out. Have tried swapping the ignition module, put new HT leads on, swapped the ecu but unsure if the one from the scrappers worked!
Am unsure what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Its a basic 1995 N reg model.

cheers
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Any other symptoms prior to the failure?

Have you checked for a spark?

If theres no spark and you've changed the ECU check the coil.
1983 2CV6 Charleston 110k (Re-build in op!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo
1991 BX GTi 4x4
1989 BX GTi 4x4
1991 BX GTi Auto
1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you traced the problem to be either fuel or ignition ?
Thats always the first task on a car going dead on the job.

I'd say its overkill doing the ECU as first expensive task. The ECU is incredible reliable despite any telltales you may have been told. In fact there is a larger risc you have run out of fuel - simply.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

was told by a mate who is a technician that fuel was not getting through but the ecu controlled that! There is no coil in this one, it works from a module.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yeah right mate -
The ECU controls everything on the engine - no lies.

But -

The ECU relies on a number of sensors which must all work to keep the ECU alive controlling the engine.
Excatly like your home computer controlled by its system software - but not much fun with a keyboard failure. You would instantly replace the computer then - right ?

And you bet there is an ignition coil. Its just not the type you may be used to look for. The module which have the 4 HT cables leading to the plugs - is in fact the coil.
Then unplug 1 - and only 1 - of the leads to the spark plugs. Insert a screwdriver into the lead cap. Using dry & clean rags make for a distance of some 10mm on the screwdriver shank to chassis earth.
Now let an assistant do a start attempt. Watch that you get a loud ticking and bluish spark from the screwdriver.
That indicates ignition system all go.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Some more info from my mate.

He said there is no spark as well as no petrol, in fact there is nothing. He says to mention there is a cut off switch, you know a little round thing like a magnet has to be put against a round disc on the dash before ignition will work. we dont know where the wiring goes.

Plus there is no live to the pump when the ignition is on nothing works
at all as it a submerged pump.

Oh and we replaced the crankshaft sensor with a new one as we thought it was that at first
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds as though this car has an after market immobiliser fitted. I would expect that if its not used the starter won't work - so the mere fact that the starter works is probably an indication that the thing is functioning.

The fuel pump may only run when the starter is operated - this is quite common for safety reasons. - Can it be heard when the starter is running?
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

jeremy wrote:I would expect that if its not used the starter won't work - so the mere fact that the starter works is probably an indication that the thing is functioning.

The fuel pump may only run when the starter is operated - this is quite common for safety reasons. - Can it be heard when the starter is running?
Depends on whether it is a 1 or 2 circuit imobiliser,even if it is a twin circuit on doesent mean to say only one of the internal relays has failed. did the starter operate before if the little disc was not pressed against the pad ?