Cylinder Head Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

Cylinder Head Gasket

Post by acrowot »

I am about to replace the head gasket on my 1998 Xantia engine 1.9TD DHX, the gasket I require is listed on GSF as N11150 2 notch as determined by piston protrusion. Also listed are two other gaskets described as N11153 Metal sandwich gasket STD, and N11153A metal sandwich Repair. Does anyone know which of these gaskets is likely to be more suitable in my case. I presume that the origional type of gasket fitted by Citroen and is not of the metal sandwich type, I can only think that the metal gasket type is considered more suitable after the origional one has failed.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

N11153 STD - I presume is the standard (STD) designated metal gasket to use as replacement when Cylinder Head has been removed due to other problems than the HG & head itself..
N11153A Repair - would be the bit thicker metal gasket to use for repair works on HG failures.

The later type Metal sandwich cylinder head gaskets seems to have better durability against a repeated overheating problem.
If you had a failed HG - you MUST spend the extra money having the head milled down a few thou.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Hi Anders, thanks for your reply once again, your help now and in the past is much appreciated, the head has been skimmed and I have decided that a two notch gasket is required, the metal gaskets are 1.44 and 1.54mm thick which I believe is equvalent to a two and three notch gasket respectively. But there is no stock of the two notch metal gasket, so my problem is which to choose , the three notch metal or two notch origional. My piston protrusion says two notch.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its the piston protrusion that decides which gasket, the head is flat apart from the combustion chambers, so skimming the head doesn't make a big difference to the compression ratio.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Hi Kowalski, yes I know the piston protrusion determines the gasket, my piston protrusion is such that a two notch gasket is required, but with these newer steel gaskets there are only two sizes and according to GSF they are equivalent to a two and three notch gasket, but GSF can not obtain the two notch, they only have the three notch. So my dilema is do I use the newer three notch ( which is supposed to handle overheating better ) or do I use the origional 2 notch. My max piston protrusion is 0.70mm measured very carefully with a DTI. All the information that I have on these gaskets has been obtained from GSF.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When I replaced the head gasket on my 2.1 td XM last year, GSF didn't do one for a Mk2 so I had to get a genuine Citroen one, that was a laminated steel type and they only do it in one thickness! anyway, I fitted it and thought at first it was to thick as it didn't start so easilly but after about 25k miles its running fine. They certainly look much tougher than the copper ones.