hydrulic fluid and paint work.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

hydrulic fluid and paint work.

Post by simonelsey »

Advice needed ,

Today at work dustcar blew up its hydrulics , spilling all its fluids over my metallic Xsara . This covered the bumper , bonnet , windscreen and both sides . Spoke to driver and said , Are you going to get someone to sort me car out ,He said what can I do about .

Spillage team turn up and forget to bring cos sheets with them cleaned up road spillage , was advised not to use water to clean. So leaves my car undriveable as on windscreen and has gone smeared .

My insurance compaines picking it up tomorrow , but wha I want to now is Will it cause permant damaged to car will I have to have a respry our do think it will be ok with a profesional clean.

Any thoaghts welcomed.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wouldn't have thought it was any worse than engine oil, in which case it'll probably wash off with synthetic thinners (NOT CELLULOSE) or panel wipe - and with a polish it'll look as though it never happened.

Screen - something very strong will be needed.
jeremy
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Is this the same as brake hydraulic fluid? My experience (back to Morris 1100) was that it acts like paint stripper!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I work as a plant driver & quite often suffer from burst hydraulic hoses,which cover everything with hot oil.Never seems to have an effect on paint work.Ok so its not metallic paint,& the diggers etc dont have the best looking paint,but we just wipe it off with a rag.Never seen it strip the paint.
You may have to take care with the metallic paint though.As for the windows,just wipe off the excess oil with clean dry cloths,then use a window cleaner(fast glass,windowleen etc)to clean them.Never has an effect on the glass.
So i think(& hope for you :) ) that it will clean up ok with no lasting damage.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Conventional brake fluid is harmful to paint, although the layer of clear coat on most modern cars will probably protect it if you get it off quickly.

LHM is a mineral oil just like a thin engine oil without the normal engine oil additives so I don't imagine that would have any harmful effect on paint...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with Mandrake, hydraulic fluid is normally mineral oil which should wash off with detergent, conventional brake fluid is a different matter.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

well - a dustcar wont use LHM for hydraulic oil - would it ? :lol:

No - lets stick to the facts : standard utility vehicle hydraulics use a standard type mineral hydraulic oil - much like engine oil. Not dangerous to paints if cleaned off fairly quick. Can be cleaned off using any standard detergent for cars. May take a couple of go'es however until all traces are gone - depending on the amount. Then a re-treating of any paint protector ("wax") should be done.

Please dont spoil the thread talking brake fluid - as this is not the issue here.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

thanks for replies so once its cleaned by the insurance company and rewaxed sholuld be ok
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

As others have mentioed, hydraulic oils are a mineral oil. They have very little in the way of additives in them compared to lhm or engine oil, usually an anti foam additive and not a whole lot else.

If you've ever spilled diesel (or petrol) on your car filling it up, you'll realise that petrol and diesel don't damage the paintwork and I wouldn't expect engine oil, lhm or even hydraulic oil to have much affect beyond making a greasy stain that'll wash off.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

AndersDK wrote: Please dont spoil the thread talking brake fluid - as this is not the issue here.
We are talking Hydraulic Fluid here.... which brake fluid is, we may 'assume' that the reference to the dustcart hydraulic fluid is not the braking system, though that wasn't clear in the first post. However, far from 'spoiling' the thread, I think it is valid content.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's running what they call "Tellus" oil, it's just almost a varient of LHM but if it's a genuine Dot4 brake fluid, you're in big trouble.

Common deal for vandals if they don't like someone is to chuck a bit of that on the paint and it's almost the best paint stripper known to man.
If however it's just the Tellus stuff, a clean with a product like 'Grease and Wax remover' as used by spraypainters will see it cleaned off in no time, followed by a buff and polish.
If it's the Dot4, you'd be looking at bare metal long before now, so I'd say you're safe.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

OK to clear it all up it was the hydrulics for the internal ram went .the bit which squashes the load up . When it blew it sprayed out on intial radius of about 10 meters. Ive spoke to the garage and they are degreasing the car andd rewaxing car . Seems paintwork not affected but only time will tell ,I have seen car yet as not got it back . I shall be checking it for any marks caused by the fluid if any . I will let you all know how it looks.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

A truck with air brakes wouldn't use DOT3/4/5!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Kowalski wrote:A truck with air brakes wouldn't use DOT3/4/5!
Do tell!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Alan S :wink:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

alan s wrote:Do tell!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Air brakes aren't hydraulic are they .... hence no hydraulic fluid.

I do know that smaller trucks often do have hydraulic brakes (I've got a set of front brakes off a Ford Cargo truck, they're a bit bigger than my Xantia ones) and often even when they have an air operated parking brake they still have hydraulic brakes, but larger trucks have air brakes, don't they? Bin wagons in the UK tend to be pretty large, the trend is towrards 3 and 4 axles, I remember when they only had 2.