pug 106 1.5D any good compared to XUD's

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu R

pug 106 1.5D any good compared to XUD's

Post by Stu R »

Hi, have been redirected to this forum, as Andyspares's forum looks a bit quiet. :o

I’m seriously considering changing my car for a smaller 106 diesel. I’ve got a 205 D at the moment and I’ve been looking at the 1.5D as they have the lower tax band and I’ve probably get better fuel economy than my old 205.
I came close to getting a 106 1.5D M slalom 82K (Mot’s from 26K, and history) cam 65K,recent new plugs, disks/pads, shoes, 1cv, 1 bearing. 12mth mot, 2tax, 4th owner, swapped for people carrier as 3 growing kids. Usual tatty edges didn’t put me off as I know a few hours with some cans of various spray’s makes a lot of difference (don't mean paint cans body good).
What did put me off was 1 glow plug (3rd Cyl) must have snapped off in recent change so the wires where just joined to bridge over and a bolt plugged in the hole. I know this is common as a friends Laguna had exactly the same problem. Don’t like it, but I suppose 3 warmed chambers would be enough? the laguna's still goes.
The other thing that made me walk was around cam cover gasket was a few bits of black instant gasket mainly on breather hose side. Oil seemed OK, bit of oily parts on engine but not a leak as such, my 205 was as dirty when I got it. After thinking about it I’ve realized that it shouldn’t be a huge job to change the cam gasket as the TUD is very accessible.

So Advice Please.
You don’t get much for £600, but does anyone think it was worth a risk (may still have a chance if not sold) would prob. have to live with missing plug, how difficult is changing the cam gasket, do they weld to the alu block as I can imagine that little bits of scraped rubber in the block would be a bad thing!

And finally what are the 1.5TUD’s like generally I think the 1.8XU is a real tough old thing but are the TUD a bit delicate. Do they go on as long as the XU’s can? Still could get a 205 but more 306's out there.

All advice very much appreciated :D
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This is infact the old andyspares forum... the GSF forum now has nothing to do with andyspares.

Anyway... Personally, I would stick with the 205. The 106 diesel is a hateful little car. The 1.5TUD is an ok-ish engine, but suffers from head gasket failure more than the XUD, which is bad enough as it is. It's also rather underpowered, and hard work to drive. Unless you drive very very gently, you probably won't achieve any better fuel consumption than a 205 1.8D.

The 205 overall is a better car. It handles much nicer than a 106, and despite being no more than a few inches longer than a 106, feels lilke a much more grown-up car: the peadals are in the correct place for starters. If you have size 11 feet (as I have) it's almost impossible to press the clutch on a 106 without stamping on the brakes at the same time.

The sheared-off glowplug is bad news. It won't be doing the engine much good to be starting on 3 cylinders, and it does sound like someone's been rather vicious with their spanners, as a sheared glowplug is not that common at all.

£600 will buy you a much better car than this.
This is not a signature.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The 1.5 TUD isnt as bad as the god awful 1.4 TUD fitted to the earlier 106 diesels.

Also im pretty sure that a M reg will be the 1.4 TUD lump & best avoided.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yeah, the 1.5 engine is suposedly much more reliable than the 1.4, but it's also heavier because it's all iron as opposed to iron/alloy ( I believe ).

Mum has a 106 Mk2 1.5D - not bad.
Wife has a AX MK2 1.5D - pretty torquey but car made of tin foil.

AX in my hands has got 75mpg on a 60mph long distance motorway run.

One thing - either get a gym membership, or power steering !
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
Stu R

Post by Stu R »

I understand now this IS the Andyspares forum, long time since I've visited.

Thanks for the quick reply's. No thanks for the content :wink: .
I knew everyone would say the 205 was better. Damn. I've got to change it and I really wanted the cheaper tax, and save £80 a year.
I'm sticking to diesel, so figured on a 106.
(if I see a titanium STDT that's all change by the way, but stuggling)

I'm pretty certain that the 1.5D isn't an iron block thats the XUD. I'm not even considering a 1.4D. I imagine that the fact it's alloy contributes to the over heating problems which I gather is common on modern lighter engines??

fastnf I take it you've had both 205 and 106. I should point out I'm use to the lack of space and power steer. I'm too big for 106 really at 6'1 but it felt like the same size as my 205 to me! I'm prepared to sacrifice a bit of comfort but the thought of a weak engine bothers me.
So starting on 3 warm, 1 cold cylinder would damage the engine over time you think. I thought it was more common for pugs to snap.

I really hoped that the TUD would do the happy 250K that the XUD's can (with care and attention).
Cleaned up my 205 (got to sell!) and they look great, but it's got to go, anyone got a better suggestion, good 205 are thinking out.
Clio's are nice but I've noticed wheel arch rust.
many cheers again. :D
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The 1.4 TUD is an all alloy lump.

The later & 100 times BETTER 1.5 TUD is the cast iron lump.

The cast iron XUD is a totally different family of engines :wink:

A later June 1995 onwards 405 GTX or Executive with the 1.9 turbo diesel XUD lump can be picked up cheap now :wink:

405 STDT has electric seats & lights in the vanity mirrors that the GTX & Executive dont have.

But the GTX & Executive will have these toys that the STDT never did.

Drivers airbag, side impact bars, seatbelt pretensioners, ultrasonic battery back up alarm, Executives got leather trim.
Amazon Activa

Post by Amazon Activa »

I don't mean to be rude to you're choice of car, but for £600 you can get much better cars than a 106.
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

Nissan 300zx TT (94k)
Citroen BX Estate 19RD (197k)

Citroen Xantia Activa (Gone, but never forgotten)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Whilst I've never actually owned either a 106 or a 205, I've driven all manner of different models of both car, and if I had to choose one, it would be the 205.

It does beg the question as to why you are so desperate to sell the 205 you currently have. After all, you know the car you have at the moment, and any car that's new to you will be an unknown.

If it absolutely must go, and you want to stick with a small car, I would get a late 205 STDT. They were really well equipped, had a nice variant of the XUD (1769cc turbo, no intercooler, 80BHP), and are a far superior car to the 106.

If you absolutely must have a diesel under the 1549cc tax cut-off, then the best car is probably an early Citroen Paxo (saxo). These can be had for well under £1k now, and aren't bad cars at all, as long as you can find an non-molested-by-the-chav-brigade one
This is not a signature.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The 106 would do more mpg and have cheaper tax but it would come at a price, and that's extremely poor performance. Every day you would be cursing yourself.

I do like the 106. Personally I found it a better and roomier car to drive but absolutely gutless.

If you really do want a 106 don't buy that one. For £600 you should be able to get one with no major faults and a broken glow plug is potentially very serious.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The 106 doesnt suffer from the serious rear chassis rust problem that the Saxo does :wink:
Stu R

Post by Stu R »

Cheers again for all those replies,
as to the 205 STDT I would buy one at the drop of a hat (well sort of)
as they where just about the most pricey 205's (exept Auto and Dturbo)
so they tend to be looked after better and cherished due to the good looks. But can I find one, can I hell as like.

Basically your right that I know my 205 but then I know what's wrong with it to :wink: basically a bizarre rust problem at a scary front suspention mount, prev. owner to lazy to clean no dault, and other's and I can only hope to squeaze it through mot 1 or 2 times. So cut my losses and move on time. The 106 I mentioned would probably only be for a year or so and my thinking is that small cars are sellable. Things like colour and looks are very important at this price and I know I can smarted it up to hold its price.

What I have been most worried about is the quality of the engine as it's unknown. Thanks for clearing that up a little. Unfortunately you can't always find the car you want at a time thats convenient, and it's not really worth travelling miles and miles to see 'em. I'm still considering a high spec ZX or Saxo, but not as many 1.5D saxo's as 106's.

anyway the hunt goes on. :roll:
deian

Post by deian »

I had an M Reg 106 1.4d, horrid horried, BUT, it ran forever on a tankful of diesel even if you caned it! Doesn't go up many hill in 5th, or 4th for that matter!

Seem to have trouble selling it! GRRRRRR!