Xantia rear brake pads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia rear brake pads

Post by mcgregor »

Guys
I have just had new rear pads installed in my '01 Xantia Hdi. However they seem to be not quite square on to the disc and are currently only acting on problably half of the disc. For sure I can buff and angle them to the right profile but surely that should not be necessary. Can anyone tell me what the cause of the problem is please.
Dave
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

The problem is that a layer of hard grey corrosion is building up between the rear face of the caliper and the suspension arm and pushing the caliper out of true.

My car recently failed it's MOT test due to a loss of pedal pressure and a fluid leak from the L/H rear wheel area during the brake test.
When I took the wheel off I could see that at some time in the past the top caliper bolt had sheared and was jammed half way out and within a few mm's of touching the wheel. This had allowed the caliper halves to open a thou or two and ease the pressure on the 'O' ring seal which had then burst.
The only thing I can think of that would cause the bolt to shear is the pressure caused by the growth of the corrosion.
So I would warn anyone who's rear brakes are showing signs of 'twist' to get the calipers off, pronto, and scrape (chip) the corrosion off and lubricate the surfaces before reassembly.

What really annoyed me was the fact that it looked like the rear pads had been replaced not too long ago. They had worn into wedges and the garage that did the work must have seen that the old ones had worn in a similar manner.

Dave
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks. Same with me the pads were replaced at the 75K service and like yours they were worn a sort of wedge shape. You would have thought they would have done something about it rather than just replace the pads.
Grrrrrrr!!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

They wont do any further to this problem as the only sensible way to do anything commercially is to clean the arm surface and replace the calipers. New/recon calipers are close to £100 a set (both sides) - which would then make you explode on the bill :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

The rear brakes are load sensitive and don't really do much unless the rear of the car is loaded up. This is why they seize.
:shock:
Davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

AndersDK wrote:They wont do any further to this problem as the only sensible way to do anything commercially is to clean the arm surface and replace the calipers. New/recon calipers are close to £100 a set (both sides) - which would then make you explode on the bill :roll:
The clever solution is to swap the calipers over side to side when they get too pitted. They're identical / symetrical so it all changes over nicely but I supposed you can only do it once.