With my Xantia, is it just me but...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

With my Xantia, is it just me but...

Post by andmcit »

the ONE THING that drives me apoplectic are it's stupid door lock buttons on the top of the doortrims!?

It seems to be total pot luck getting the inner 'carriage' that has the sprung peg and the serrated teeth to lign up and hold the metal rod that actuates the locking mechanism when fitting the main button. I've tried all permuatations and frankly am fed up with it - so fed up in fact that every time a mirror or door glass gets repaired I've taken to leaving them off.

'Great' but today in THE DRIVING HARD RAIN when the pin [sans button] popped up on unlocking everything it caught wrong and the door wouldn't unlock... :x

Guess I'll have to sort these all out, but is there a particular knack!?

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yes they are a pain, and yes there is a "knack" to getting them on properly.

From what I can remember, the way I found worked best was to start off with the internal sliding tab down at the bottom end, and then using a screwdriver release it, and push it up until its *just* released from the catch at the bottom, then put it in position and give it a good shove.

How much you slide the tab up (and a bit of random luck) determines how far down the button is when the tab "locks". Sometimes it took me more than one attempt. If the button is badly worn and the locking tab is loose you'll have a lot of trouble fitting it, and it might pay to replace it.

To get them off again without damaging them I'd get a fairly large screwdriver, hold it upside down with the blade positioned in the curved section of the button, angling slightly towards the door, and give the handle of the screwdriver a good thump with the palm of my hand. Usually this would make the catch release without damaging it. (Trying to lever it out is a no-no)

Good luck, and if you can, get a couple of spare buttons, because by the time you've practiced and got "the knack" you'll probably find the catch on the button has worn out... :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Simon, interesting!

It sounds like I'm doing the right thing, but still manage to make a total dog's breakfast of these. When I remember I'll have a fiddle with the door buttons in the breaker's the next time I'm there!

Citroen ALWAYS manage to produce one infernal item that manages to make ANY job just that bit of an extra fiddle/challenge!

I recon the design engineer comes up with the idea for everything and makes it work, but the design for production guy then adds sharp edges, non captive captive nuts and blind access points and so on, as he's really a frustrated stylist or something!! :wink:

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hate to tell you, but the door button design is a Peugeot design, first used in Peugeots.... :lol:

Also, I neglected one important part of the "trick" to fitting them - the door has to be *unlocked* and with the door *open* so that the rod can't move down into the locked position when you're pushing the button on.

If you get it right the button should be level with the top of the shroud in the unlocked position +/- 1mm. If it's not, try, try....... try again ;)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

grrrrr!!

dont get me started on these//!

3 405's and a handful of Citroens plus some 205's and 309's !!

I hate fitting these

;)

sorry no help at all but i feel better ;)

John
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well I have not had the need to attend to mine yet, and I am not looking forward to it now I have read this.

How do they manage to assemble this in the factory ?

If this is so fiddly, and difficult to assemble, then are they not making it more complex a job than it should be, therefore making it more costly in the initial build, and any subsequent repair !
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I'll bet there are a few Ex PSA assembly workers who can do these in seconds.... anybody from around Coventry who can ask in the right areas??
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

if you are having troubler with these and they are second hand it is more likely that the "teeth" that grip the rod coming out of the door are worn / broken......... have a look at them - if they look nakkered they wont grip the rod...
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I also have a good technique which I've perfected over time.

I tend to just grab hold of them and rip them off, thus realising Ive then knackered the little plastic thing and bending the rod and sometimes popping the rod out of place and getting really angry and then hitting the door cards.

Ive gone through so many and I would be tempted to stock up on them, but I break the ones at the scrappers :evil: :evil:

Truely an awful bit in my opinion.

To this day my 'now' mums Zx still has them looking half off
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

ive had to refit the door lock and must say what an easy job it is. :D

The Haynes manual says:

1) Close the door and push the metal rod down into the lock position.

2) Put the plastic lock button tab on the lower position, mine was already on the lower position

3) Now push (firmly) the lock button onto the rod, and the tab will now lock into the high position.

Sure enough its easy, time taken 10seconds- beginner’s luck maybe? 8)
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

_kid_ wrote:Sure enough its easy, time taken 10seconds- beginner’s luck maybe? 8)
Hey now! Don't gloat - beginner's luck will be it! Do a few more in under 10 seconds too and I may be impressed! :lol:

Andrew
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

I'm from peugeot land, and I have had the pleasure of refitting all four door interiors.. and have tried locked unlocked open closed lower setting upper setting, poping the bottom of the door card and reaching up as best I could to hold the rod up... alsorts and nothign works!

The teeth are fine and the rods are straight. I have decided the only alternative is aftermarket fittings with a grub screw! Means they will be silver/aluminium in colour, but at least they wont fall off!
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.