Xantia alarm / keypad woes... how can I stop it?!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BackinaBX

Post by BackinaBX »

My Xantia (94 1.9D) has the dreaded 'two lights as on at once' syndrome. I've read here and elsewhere that some people have overcome this problem by pulling the plug on it, I guess leaving them immobiliser less...

I've tried all the other hacks from this forum, such as checking the ECU earth, cut-off solonid etc, and all have failed.

If I pull the plug on the keypad in this state, will this override the immobiliser, or will it still leave me with a car that won't go... I say this because people have said that once it's disconnected, you can't reconnect it without having the whole thing reset by Citroen... blah, expensive, blah. This car's worth £400... and I'm loathed to take it to a dealer to fix it.

Any thoughts, greatly appre siaed.
Many thanks.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Nope, you can only disconect it if the start code is in and has been accepted, with only the green light on, otherwise it remains in the same state.

Wouldn't be much good if your common or garden tea leaf could just snatch the plug and away he goes with your ride.

Check the connectors in the wings near the headlights and and the cables running accross the car at the front near the bottom of the rad.

Anyhow I didn't know these gismos were around on the 94 vintage, is this original kit or is it a retro, is the injection pump stop solenoid shielded.

Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No its defo OK -
Remove keypad as pr description found here - and the immobiliser will be kept in the enabled mode. Leave a note with the code stored with the keypad. If any trouble - refit keypad, tip in code and you are on-line again.
By the time you may run into real trouble - you are most likely ready to replace the Xantia anyway - or let it retire as a donor to upgrade a bargain.

EDIT : as DaveB points out : after your immobiliser has accepted the code from your keypad.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
BackinaBX

Post by BackinaBX »

My mistake, it's a 95...

Ah... well it's too late, too cold and too wet to go faffing about under the bonnet tonight... I shall see where I get in the morning.

Actually, you've probably got a good point about moving this particualr Xantia on now. It is infact my dad's car. It's about to clock it's 240,000th mile, but it just keeps on going, and he never gets rid of a car just because it's got a wiring fault.

RE: Solonoid - you mean the button behind the n/s sphere? Yes, it's there, and it looks like it's got very small teeth marks in the rubber cap... could this be the source of all these woes? We are out in the sticks here, and a nice warm engine bay could be attractive to a mouse looking from somewhere to spend the night...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Perhaps this will help you. Taken from Citroen Coded Anti-Theft Device Booklet;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/ ... tyData.jpg

Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
BackinaBX

Post by BackinaBX »

Thanks for all the tips chaps... I found that the wires to the inertia cut off switch had been getting wet, and where one of them had a nick in it, had just rotted right through.

Bypassed the plug with a crimp connector, everything back to normal. I guess I should get a new plug and wire it in, otherwise should the worse happen, no fuel cut off... not good news.

Thanks again!