Lambda Sensor Removal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb

Lambda Sensor Removal

Post by stevieb »

Right gents, new turbo is workign a treat on my 406, and almost everything is hunky-dorey.

The snag is that after a couple of starts following an ECU reset, the "K" warning light has begun to stay on for a second or two after starting the engine.

I'm working my way around all the sensor electrical connections, cleaning them up, before pointing my finger at any sensor problems. I also plan on getting the Lambda Sensor out for a clean. This is especially beneficial as the turbo leaked oil into the inlet shortly before it died, so I suspect the Lambda may be a little caked up.

So, the question is, is it best to remove the Lambda Sensor when the exhaust is warm or cold? I had a feeble attempt at it when I dropped the front pipe off last weekend whilst doing the turbo, but it didn't seem to want to budge, and the cable was long enough to get the thing out of the way anyway.

Suggestions please?
saxoqueen

Post by saxoqueen »

Just replaced the Lambda sensor on son's 306XSi. Did it when it was fairly hot BUT we had a replacement sensor ready so we cut the cables to the old one so we could get a 22mm ring spanner on it. Tap with a hammer and it loosened up fairly easily. The old one was completely caked up with gunge and this was what was causing his problem - engine management light on all the time. Replaced it, spliced new leads in and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to clear all the fault codes and reset the ECU. Been running like a dream ever since. I got the Lambda sensor off Ebay BTW for £18 and the colour codeing for the 4 wires was identical to the old one.

HTH
Len
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Cheers for that. Definitely worth me cleaning it up then...
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Did it earlier. Ten minute job. Light extinguishes immediately now.
_kid_

Re: Lambda Sensor Removal

Post by _kid_ »

stevieb wrote:Right gents, new turbo is workign a treat on my 406, and almost everything is hunky-dorey.

The snag is that after a couple of starts following an ECU reset, the "K" warning light has begun to stay on for a second or two after starting the engine.

I'm working my way around all the sensor electrical connections, cleaning them up, before pointing my finger at any sensor problems. I also plan on getting the Lambda Sensor out for a clean. This is especially beneficial as the turbo leaked oil into the inlet shortly before it died, so I suspect the Lambda may be a little caked up.

So, the question is, is it best to remove the Lambda Sensor when the exhaust is warm or cold? I had a feeble attempt at it when I dropped the front pipe off last weekend whilst doing the turbo, but it didn't seem to want to budge, and the cable was long enough to get the thing out of the way anyway.

Suggestions please?
i have the same problem with my xantia 1996 1.8 16v, the engine management light takes 6 seconds to go out after the engine has started. If i reset the battery then it does out immediately for a few days, then goes back to the 6 secs.

i also have poor fuel consumption, around 4mpg less than what it should be. mot emissions are virtually nil, all sensors cleaned up and new CTS fitted.

is it worth cleaning the lambda, if so what with, without damaging it ?

Regards
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I used some contact cleaner on mine. Didn't seem to do it any harm.