Yerr.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Yerr.....

Post by mezuk04 »

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/tophu ... 9010848601

......Well, I'd still own a Xantia :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Err great.

Why is the 406 in the list twice? At 76 and 86, is it twice as reliable as all other cars?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It doesn't work quite that way over here in Sweden.

Just add salt and watch as the high tensile (read thin) Japanese steel turns into McVities digestive . . . .

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

I personally think jap cars are far superior to citroens, Had a nissan sunny coupe (1992 model) for 7 years and it was about 6 years old when i baught it and not once did it break down and i abused the fcuk out of it. I virtually never serviced it, it got an oil change every 15 to 20k miles if it was lucky, never changed the coolant once just toped up with plain water, never looked at the spark plugs, changed the air filter once or twice. I done about 18k to 22k a year in it, All i did was what ever it needed to pass its MOT and that was never very much. The car ran well and always started first time no matter what, Id still have it of it was'nt for some clown rear ending me and writing it off! I wander how long a citroen of the same era would last if i treated it that way? probably be off the road within a year !
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Barbarian wrote:I personally think jap cars are far superior to citroens, Had a nissan sunny coupe (1992 model) for 7 years and it was about 6 years old when i baught it and not once did it break down and i abused the fcuk out of it. I virtually never serviced it, it got an oil change every 15 to 20k miles if it was lucky, never changed the coolant once just toped up with plain water, never looked at the spark plugs, changed the air filter once or twice. I done about 18k to 22k a year in it, All i did was what ever it needed to pass its MOT and that was never very much. The car ran well and always started first time no matter what, Id still have it of it was'nt for some clown rear ending me and writing it off! I wander how long a citroen of the same era would last if i treated it that way? probably be off the road within a year !
Think you're on the wrong list... :roll:

Whilst a good debate can be seen as healthy in a forum, being overly provocative to shake a reaction is wasting everyone's time...
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Dont get me wrong i like my xanita and the xud9 engine, But i think iv bitten off more than i can chew as far as the amount of servicing and spheres and stuff it needs. I prefer a car you can just pritty much ignor and will still carry on working. Im a lazzy git 8)
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well, as an example I arranged a Citroën XM TD12 as my company car in 1993 (a year newer than your Jap) and ran it for three years that way. I then purchased it from the company and used it as my daily transport for a further 9 years. At which time it saved my life when a Volvo F12 ran into it.

[pic of an F12, but without the 42-ton trailer that mine was pulling: http://www.abc-annons.se/viewad.php?idn ... t=&soktxt=]

So 13 years, regular service while a company car, home service when it was mine.
553,000 km, same engine, same gearbox, never left me standing ever. Fuel consumption over entire lifespan 0.65 l/10km = 45 mpg, not bad for a 1800kg kerb weight car - and with the amazing comfort that you only get in a hydraulic Citroën.

I don't think you would have survived the F12 in your Snissan, and I don't think your fuel costs where much cheaper either.

My current 98 XM has "only" done 375,000 km so far . . . .

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I THINK IF THEY'VE HAD PROPER SERVICING IN THEIR EARLIER LIFETIME YOU CAN RUN MOST CARS ON A SHOESTRING FOR A GOOD NUMBER OF YEARS.

BUT - There's a point where the mileage will stack up aginst you. Stands to reason ball joints, bushes, gaiters, tyres, clutches AND SPHERES psss their use by date...

Problem with Citroens is the usual muppet mentality;

"Oh it's 'only' an old Citroen, it's not worth spending money on it, I'll run it into the ground and get another one and throw the first one away..."

Treat anything like that and it'll disinegrate, Japanese, German OR French!

I've seen 200k PLUS miles on my Xantias, Xm's and CX's too...

Andrew