C5 Cruise Control not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

C5 Cruise Control not working

Post by KevMayer »

I collected today a C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive SE on an 02 plate.

So far I have found 3 faults:-

1. The rear electric window on the drivers side doesn't work.

2. I keep getting a 'Tyre damaged' alarm on the computer complete with STOP NOW.

and,

3. The cruise control doesn't engage. I've tried the fuse (F16) and that is ok.

Any ideas..... apart from taking it back to the garage ?

cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Problem 2 is a known fault. Check the tyre inflation.

The cruise control is part of the engine management system. Might be a software problem.

No tips on the window winder - other than the classics : control button switch and wires in door gaiter.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Sounds like the COMM2000 unit has failed. This controls all manner of things on the car and is a known fault. Mine has failed and has affected the trip computer and also the electric windows, the trip computer no longer works and the windows have a mind of their own. It sits behind the steering wheel and cannot be reparied as it is a sealed unit, replacement is about £500. Take it back to the garage and get them to replace it or give you your money back.
walcit

Post by walcit »

Im sure it's not £500 for a comms2000. I'm sure they're only about £200. Isnt it best just to get it to a Citroen dealer and get it plugged in for £50. I'm sure they'd be able to tell you instantly whats wrong? :?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I only have a problem with one window. The other three work ok. So, hopefully its not a problem with the COMMS2000 unit you refer to (I didn't know anything about this until you mentioned it - learn something new every day).

The glass goes down if you push it during a close and will come all the way back up to close properly, but, if you pull the glass it is loose and appears to have come away from the drive mechanism.

I'll check the tyre pressures and put some more air in to see if the problem goes away.

The problem with the cruise control sounds more tricky if it involves the engine management system. A Citroen dealer may be the only option.

Thanks for all your replies. Its good to know we have a few C5 owners in our company.

cheers,

Kev

ps.. I'm driving my Activa today as a bit of therapy ... #-o
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

Nice buy, the 2.2 HDi exclusive would be my choice of C5. Is this to replace your TD Xantia or your Activa? (surely not a 3rd car?!?!)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Its to replace my white Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX with aircon.

I had the Xantia td for over 6 years and it gave me some great service. I was really sad to let it go.

When I got to the Peugeot dealer to collect the C5 I parked the Xantia for the last time and I was so choked up I couldn't go into the showroom for a while until I calmed down.

Silly but true. I really got attached to that faithfull old Citroen. And they only gave me £750 for it.
Cheers, Kev

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

unlikely to be the COM2000 causing all those faults.
provided the tyre pressures are ok then the most likely cause is a faulty tyre valve/emmitter or the tyre has been changed & replaced the valve with a normal one.
the first thing i would do with the cruise controll is to replace the stop lamp switch,some earlier models have 2 seperate switches (one for brake lights,one for CC),later models have a dual contact switch.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hi Wheeler,

By stop lamp switch do you mean the switch on the brake pedal ?

There are a mixture of tyres on the car. Could be one has been fitted without the transmitter. The owners manual says that all tyres should be changed at a Citroen main dealer because of the sensors so its possible the previous owner went elsewhere.

The spare is a full size alloy too. That must have a sensor/transmitter also.

The "Tyre Damaged" alarm isn't on all the time. It comes on after a while quite random really. If I switch off and back on it clears.

The tyre transmitters can't have a battery in them can they ?

On the electric window problem... I've had the door skin off on the inside and the glass is all intact and the electric motor and mechanism seem to work ok. Where the glass locates in the mechanism there appears to be a clip missing that should hold the two together. I've contacted my local Citroen garage and ordered a new clip for £2.20 +vat. That will hopefully fix it.

There is broken glass in the bottom of the door so the glass must have been broken at some time and the glass fitted now is a replacement panel. There's no sign of a broken clip so it looks like they never fitted one when they changed the glass..... very strange + sloppy.
Cheers, Kev

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the stop lamp switch or switches are on the brake linkage behind the glovebox rather than on the pedal (where the pedal would be on a left hand drive).
It is very possible that the tyres have been replaced elsewhere & may not have been programed corectly.Im pretty sure the spare doesent have a transmitter in it but you can easily check,if it has a rubber valve in it then its not a transmitter & yes they do have batteries (not replaceable)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks again wheeler,

On Friday I checked all my tyre pressures. None were low, infact they were all a touch over inflated. But, in checking them, some air is released in a very brief squirt as you apply the device. Since then the 'tyre damaged' alarm hasn't come up and I've been driving around. So, I wonder if that brief disturbance of the pressure sensors has caused the problem to settle down.

I took a look under the trim covering the pedals and couldn't see any switch unit on the brake pedal. But, I could see the link bar going over towards the left side. I wondered if the stop switch etc would be on the left. Now you've confirmed it, they must be fitted as for a left hand drive C5. I'll try to get behind the glove box and check the switch unit.

Everything else on the car seems to be working. Just the cruise control to sort out. Hopefully I'll have my window working by the end of Tuesday when I've fitted the clip between glass and drive unit in the rear door.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I'm still getting the "Damaged Tyre Detected" alarm.

I asked a tyre dealer if he could fit a replacement valve when he changed the tyres. He told me that usually if he works on wheels with pressure sensors he re-uses the original valve. Infact he doesn't remove it at all and takes off the old tyre very carefully so as not to damage the valve.

He showed me an old valve off a Laguna. It has a pressure transducer and transmitter built into an encapsulated unit on the valve. I suspect that my car has re-used valves because I believe that Citroen dealers use mostly Michelin tyres and if they'd been replaced by a main dealer they'd be Michelins. The tyres on my C5 are all sorts of makes, so, I recon I have re-used valves and one or more of the batteries may be failing. My tyres aren't worn enough to replace yet so I've asked the garage I got the car from to arrange for my tyres to be removed and refitted with new pressure sensing valves. I wouldn't have thought that this would cost too much and may be the solution to my problem.

I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

KevMayer wrote: I wouldn't have thought that this would cost too much and may be the solution to my problem.
The valves are about £53 each + vat :shock: