Dipped Beam bad contact, Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Dipped Beam bad contact, Xantia

Post by jgra1 »

Guys.. this is bothering me..
I keep loosing one or both Dipped beams.
The quick remedy is to touch/move the bulb.

So yesterday I tried to get more involved.. I HATE working on the back of these lights as you get cut (especially on drivers side)

Anyway, sanded bulb contact (which meets headllight) and spade for 12V +
still no improvment... The Earth spade is tight and it wont cause or efffect problem.

I guess the only remedy is to remove both headlights and sand the bulb mounting face too.. But it all looks so clean and nice.. I cant even make the problem happen after the headlamp has come on again, i.e. Wiggling the bulb and contacts wont make it go off.. just everytime I start it up after some time , 1 or both fail to come on..

Its definatley a bad contact.. hmmm will investigate further..
John
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If you're any good with a soldering iron, just put a new and larger dollap of solder on the end of the bulb.
I did that to some of mine and it worked.
I've also seen the brass strip that the bulb makes contact on bend away from the base of the bulb slightly so that it "just" touches and as such it means that it doesn't make a firm initial contact, but if given a hit with the hand, will come on and make you believe it's working OK. Problem is, it can just go out on you again without warning and usually when you don't need it (ie) Police car approaching, rainy dark night etc. :oops:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there... for a fix that will not only cure the intermittent fault but give better lighting, you could upgrade the lighting circuit with heavier grade wiring and a 30 amp relay with an extra fuse. I did this recently and I'm impressed with the result
I won't do that again