Replacing Xsara hand brake cable - tips please!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bpwoody
My Cars:

Replacing Xsara hand brake cable - tips please!

Post by bpwoody »

Hi - I need to replace the drivers side hand brake cable on my Xsara TD Estate (drums at rear). Is this a fairly easyish job or a bit of a pig - given that my DIY skills are limited!? Any tips would be much appreciated! I have the Haynes manual, but this doesn't give much detail.
I have looked at the GSF parts list - I presume this would be the RH cable?
Cheers,
Paul.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Without going into the process of replacing the cable, which Haynes describes quite well (by present-day Haynes standards), you'll need a fairly good tool kit to get the hub nut undone and the drum removed from the car. Also a new hub nut will be required on completion.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would think this should be about the same as the ZX setup, there the drum is seperate to the hub and comes off with no need to undo the hub nut, just the drum retaining screws.

But knowing Citroen they've probably changed it and made it a bugger of a job like everything else, otherwise its simple enough.

You need plenty of (safe) ground clearance to get underneath and relocate the new cables through the floor.

Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I knew that for ZX the hatch had smaller and different drum brakes from the estate. I didn't realise that the estate drums were held on with screws - the hatch ones certainly were not. If you need new nuts they are not very expensive from Euro Car parts.
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

jeremy wrote:I knew that for ZX the hatch had smaller and different drum brakes from the estate. I didn't realise that the estate drums were held on with screws - .
They're not! The hub nut has to be taken off, then the drum pulled.

WHOOPS!!! Shouldn't have assumed that what the h/back had, the estate would also have.
Last edited by JohnD on 17 May 2006, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thats right Jeremy the estate drums are huge compared to the hatchback, and they're wider aswell, and yes they are held on with screws.

Dave