C5 clutch slippage!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

C5 clutch slippage!

Post by bencowell »

My C5 2.0 HDI 110, 4 year old 54k miles has begun slipping the clutch when accelerating hard in 4th and 5th gear but only when accelerating from 2,000 to 2,500 revs.

The revs rise, sometimes they rise for a second or two then fall back before going back to normal, sometimes the revs rise to around 2,500 and stay there until the road speed catches up, after 2,500 revs it works properly.

I don't mistreat the clutch, and I match road speed and revs when changing gear. I'm upset I've got less than 200k from the clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben
SimonM

Re: C5 clutch slippage!

Post by SimonM »

bencowell wrote:My C5 2.0 HDI 110, 4 year old 54k miles has begun slipping the clutch when accelerating hard in 4th and 5th gear but only when accelerating from 2,000 to 2,500 revs.

The revs rise, sometimes they rise for a second or two then fall back before going back to normal, sometimes the revs rise to around 2,500 and stay there until the road speed catches up, after 2,500 revs it works properly.

I don't mistreat the clutch, and I match road speed and revs when changing gear. I'm upset I've got less than 200k from the clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben

Sounds about right from what I've read in reviews. It's a known problem that the clutch release bearing fails prematurely on the 2.0HDI causing significant damage, apparenty somewhere in the region of £1000 to fix as when the bearing goes the clutch assembly simply explodes. I would get it replaced before this happens.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 20A150.gif

According to PR-net the clutch is the common push type. Its a bit hard to figure why this type clutch would start slipping because of a release bearing fault.
It is a common wear indication that the release bearing grooves into the spring fingers - and it may be the bearing is then "trapped" in the finger groove - making for the clutch still being partly released. This would cause it to slip.

But this should happen at 200K+ mileage ?

Wether it would explode or not depends on your attitude. Once the release bearing starts disintegrate - or the finget tips snaps off - there will be debries trapped in the clutch - and possibly between the flywheel and bellhousing. At speed this could cause severe damage to the bellhousing.

If this is a known problem - then Citroen should grant at least part of the cost replacing the clutch.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

My car has 54k on it, I meant to say I'd hoped the clutch would last about 4 times this mileage.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

bencowell wrote:My car has 54k on it, I meant to say I'd hoped the clutch would last about 4 times this mileage.
Yes - I agree - sorry if I'm not clear on this.

54K miles - and the clutch should defo still be going strong.
200K+ miles - and you should expect problems like the ones you have now.

By coincedence - I've just replaced the clutch on SIL's '89 BX19RD - because of exactly the same problem - after only some 15K+ miles :evil:
This was a genuine Valeo replacement clutch - replaced some 3 years ago. In principle the same type as the C5 one.
When we got the old one out - there was nothing to see at all - indicating it should slip. It had not been exposed to oil. The friction plate looked like it had been in use - but not worn or contaminated. We could of course not check the force of the lock spring - but I guess this was the problem.
We accepted it was a lemon :roll:
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The problem I've heard about on the HDI110 (on the C5 and other cars too) is that it has a dual mass flywheel that fails. The £1000 cost is the main dealer price of having a clutch release bearing and flywheel changed, i.e. several hours of labour at main dealer rates to take the gearbox off plus main dealer prices on the parts.

There are lots of reasons why clutches slip, wear of the friction plates is a common one, oil contamination is too. If the clutch doesn't get "released" properly it can slip, the cable pedal or release bearing can get dry or get a little bit of dirt in the wrong place and the friction stops things from working properly.

You can check the clutch cable is not sticking and is correctly adjusted, if that is not the problem you are going to have to take the gearbox off to find out what the problem is, a garage will be asking for at least £200 in labour to take the box off, parts will be on top of that so it isn't going to be a cheap fix.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Is the flywheel failing a common problem?

Is the clutch release bearing part of the clutch kit?
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

bencowell wrote:Is the flywheel failing a common problem?

Is the clutch release bearing part of the clutch kit?
"EU wide problem with clutch of HDIs: release bearings are failing on average at 30K miles and the hydraulic actuators at approx 70K miles. Both cause significant damage (£700 - £1000) to repair. Basically, the clutch assembly "blows-up", though not the actual clutch disc, which can have as little as 20% wear"

Taken from this website: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/in ... del=%20480
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On the PR-net drawing link I submitted above - you can sse whats in the clutch kit. Thats the "B" insert shown on the drawing.
This contains :

A : Plastic clutch centering tool
1 : Spring plate
2 : Friction plate
3 : Release bearing

You certainly dont have to buy it from a Citroen stealer to get "genuine" parts. OEM Valeo clutch kits are available many places.
Note : be sure to inform ALL & every model/year/engine data on your specific C5 model to get the right clutch kit.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The new Valeo 4-piece clutch kits are now available. http://www.valeoservice.com/html/united ... E03F630D4C

Approx cost is just over £200 plus vat.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My previous XM had this pattern of clutch slip, its when the turbo is giving maximum boost and the engine is at maximum torque. I managed to nurse mine on another 15k miles or so by not letting it continue to slip, just back off a bit, in fact it was still driving well when I sold it at 292k miles!
2.1td
My Cars:

Clutch prob's

Post by 2.1td »

Hi there!
Check out the following web page. Select Citroen, then C5 and have a look in the "What to look out for" section. Seems that unfortunately it is a common C5 problem! :cry:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?u ... /index.htm
Be careful!
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

my xsara hdi 90BHP has been doing this for 2 years now , Ive just learnt to live with it and not to acceralate too harshly .

Cars on 95,000 miles know , started slipping or sticking all what people want to call it at about 60,000.

Got now clue what it is. :oops:
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

My fear is about the dual mass flywheels (only on the 110bhp models) disintegrating as Honest John says they can.

I am therefore willing to pay for a new clutch and single flywheel to be replaced using the new valeo kit.

My clutch pedal has had a variable biting point for a long time now and dealer says it is due to the dual mass flywheel expanding to fill the gap when the clutch is pressed.

Also I have a tuning box and want to put the power back to the levels it used to be!