Funny smell from airvents when car first started.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Funny smell from airvents when car first started.

Post by Quackers »

Now i'm guessing here, but my Xantia has aircon, and for the first minute or 2 after started this foul smell comes from the airvents. I presume this is the pollen filter or somthing needs changing. So: -

A) Am i Correct ?
B) Where is the cheapest place to get replacement filters ?
C) Is it difficult to change ?
D) How do you change it / where is it ?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:(

both my xantias do it

one (now) has no pollen filter

:(

i think both have leaking matrix's :(

i dont care, much ....

they seem ok after time.. (ok i care a bit) :(
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

Please PLEASE do not tell me its a leaking heater matrix smell. I had that on my very first Xantia (which cost me £5000 in garage bills!!!) It was £400 for a matrix change, since whole dash has to come out!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW, I have a Xantia that was smelling from the matrix as though the coolant was seeping out.
From postings on here, I'm lead to believe that it is Valeos recomendation that when a new matrix is fitted that you put a dose of Barrs Leaks into the coolant when the job's completed.
Having seen a BX matrix up close and personal, I know the one I saw was sealed at the end by a series of "O" rings so to me, the Barrs Leaks thing looked logical, so that's what I did.
A friend of mine with a 405 Peugeot, also supposedly a dog of a thing to do a matrix change on also had a definite leak and in desperation he did the same.
Over 12 months down the track, neither of us have had any more problems as I suspected the leak was more of a seep from the "O" rings, and the other guy lifted his carpets just out of curiosity a few weeks back and tells me it's as dry as a bone and neither of us have had a problem with overheating.
I think it's important to closely follow their instructions by using things like new coolant etc and as a bonus, Barrs Leaks is also an anti corrosive.
As regards the pollen filter, well they apparently do need changing and I know a few here have done them, but I haven't had cause to do mine as yet so I can't offer any advice on that, but thought I'd pass on the Barrs experience with you FWIW; I bought mine oin special at Woolworths for A$2.40 a bottle (approx. a quid in your money) which is a far cry from the 5 Grand you spent on your last one and the 400 spent just on the matrix job. :wink:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Try air conditioning cleaner. Valeo make one, I bought some from GSF but Eurocarparts and other factors sell it.

Also, Valeo make a Bio Clip, which attaches to the pollen filter and gives 12 months of cleaning.

See http://www.valeoservice.com/html/united ... 8A1D68D9AD and http://www.valeoservice.com/html/united ... 7805D7A12C for details.

You might have to order the Bio Clip as I haven't seen it stocked. Between them they sorted out my air con smells.

Ben
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think I may have asked this in times gone by but nobody has responded, but can you guys buy an air freshener over there called "Glen 20"?
It's an anti bacterial/antiseptic as well as air freshener and is used in the air/con industry for problems such as this.
They used it on systems suspected of carrying legionnaires disease and Airlines used to use it to spray the cabins as planes were landing supposedly to kill all germs before passengers left the aircraft.
WE can buy it for about $8 an aerosol can and it doesn't smell too bad but definitely gets rid of any fungal growths in air/con systems. Naturally, if sold just for that, the price would go through the roof and the name would change in the process.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Funny smell from airvents when car first started.

Post by Clogzz »

Quackers wrote:this foul smell
The ‘musty carpet’ smell. :evil:
The pollen filter can be washed, dried and even scented for re-use.
Stories and pictures here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17033

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18169
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389