Xantia hdi Fuel economy & fuel brand.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaJon
My Cars:

Xantia hdi Fuel economy & fuel brand.

Post by XantiaJon »

I've just filled up my Xantia, 603 Miles on 54 LITRES. 50 mpg. The best i've got to date! Normally get around 45 mpg, seems more dependent on the make of Diesel then how it's driven.
BP Ultimate is the worse (41 mpg), Normal BP, Shell & supermarket diesel average 45mpg, ESSO diesel seems to be the best overall.
It does feel quicker on BP ultimate, but not worth the extra price or drop in economy>
Anybody else found these differences? I've done 4000 Miles since the end of march, so the more mpg the better.

Oh looks like i've got 2 names on here jon888999 is me too! Just noticed I posted earlier with that name, funny I can't remember registering twice!
Xantia HDI 90, W reg. 80000 Miles.
Peugeot 205 GRD, E reg! Speedo stuck at 411000 miles! Still going strong
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Whenever this one comes up, usually in the context of super market fuel vers branded fuel someone says that the fuel comes from the same storage depot and its all the same. Must say Im with you on this one. I'm convinced my car goes further on Total than Tesco fuel with shell somewhere in the middle. Been collecting data for a while but need to work out if the difference is statistically significant. Sample size for filling at Tesco and shell is smaller than for Total.

Rory
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hello Both my son and I run Citroen's and find that ESSO does make a difference to the general running and most certainly MPG.
Supermarket fuels do not seem to offer the same MPG. (The very low sulpher "green" fuels seem to be worst of all.)
Cheers.
Geoff.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

goldfinche wrote:Hello Both my son and I run Citroen's and find that ESSO does make a difference to the general running and most certainly MPG.
Supermarket fuels do not seem to offer the same MPG. (The very low sulpher "green" fuels seem to be worst of all.)
Cheers.
Geoff.
In the 50000 miles I did in my hdi, I never got better than 46 mpg for my normal driving regardless of which fuel. The best I ever got was 54mpg and mine was a the 110bhp estate!!!

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Just quickly done the maths

2.1td figures for approx 60,000 miles (130k to 190k)

Tesco 44.45 mpg
ESSO 45.51 mpg (only 5 fill ups)
Shell 46.07 mpg
Total 46.79 mpg

Totally un-scientific but that's 5% more from Total which means (at today's prices) Total could be nearly 5p a litre more than Tesco and it would still workout cheaper. If they are the same price thats a £50 per year if you are doing 10000 miles per year
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

there was a piece on the news about filling up with fuel i think by Martin lewis (the money expert man). Depending on what time of day you filled up copuld affect how much fuel you get. Basiclly he went on to say you by diesel/petrol etc by volume therefore if you bought it at nite/early morning when it was coldest then you would get more fuel for your money giving a saving of up to £30 or £50 a year for normal driving (cant rememeber how many miles they said was normal th).

So buy your fuel when its cold gents and you'll get more for less regardless of brand.
406 lx 1.9td estate
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

To make a fairly accurate MPG calc. Fill the car right up and zero the mileo.. then when you need tooo, fill right up again, but make a note of th number of litres used to fill up.. Then read and write down the miles covered on the receipt.. After that go to :- http://javascript.internet.com/math-rel ... llon2.html

Enter the "miles covered" in the top box, and the "litres used" in the 2nd box .. press "compute".. And your MPG will be displayed in the bottom box :)

My ZX averages 30ish around town (due to autobox not engaging 4th gear under 40 MPH) and anything up to 55 MPG on a long Mway run.. Overall, my combined average is about 39 MPG.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I've been quite disappointed with the 807's consumption and so far I have struggled to average 30mpg anywhere, even at a steady 60mph.

But recently got 32mpg on a round trip, not driving with economy in mind.

The only difference, I filled up at the local ASDA instead of my usual ESSO. Since filling up at ESSO again it's dropped to it's usual 26mpg

I'm going to try and repeat the test at the next fillup.
XantiaJon
My Cars:

Post by XantiaJon »

To prove a point to myself lastime I filled up with BP Ultimate, Just filled up again with Esso, 54 LITRES did 515 miles 43 Mpg. Same Journeys same driving as the week before. I really must stick to Esso!
Xantia HDI 90, W reg. 80000 Miles.
Peugeot 205 GRD, E reg! Speedo stuck at 411000 miles! Still going strong
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I was under the impression that in the past all fuels come from the same sources and it was just the name on the tankers that were different. Can't guarantee that the same still hold true today though.
In the past, the extra additives in Shell, BP, Esso etc, were added on the forecourt by the tanker driver which, on more than one occasion, led to damage being caused to engines when the driver got the mix proportions wrong.

Another reason for the difference in recorded fuel economy may be from the accuracy of the fuel pumps on the forecourt. I don't know what the allowable tolerances are but based on an enquiry I made to Trading Standards regarding hand rolling tobacco, the tolerance on a 50gram pouch is +/- 7.5g ( 15% ), scary.

Gammy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Gammy leg wrote:I don't know what the allowable tolerances are but based on an enquiry I made to Trading Standards regarding hand rolling tobacco, the tolerance on a 50gram pouch is +/- 7.5g ( 15% ), scary.

Gammy
Think of the difference between to packs at each end of the tolerence. 1 could be 57.5g and another 42.5g thats 15g which is 30% of 50g. So 2 packs could vary by almost a third of the stated back weight. You win some you loose some, I bet you loose more than you win. If it was my company I would try to weigh the product to within a couple of grams and make all the packs on the low side of the tolerance :twisted:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Gammy leg wrote:
Another reason for the difference in recorded fuel economy may be from the accuracy of the fuel pumps on the forecourt.
The onboard computer agrees with my manual calculations so the pumps can't be out by much.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Chaps

I don't dispute that different brands of fuel may give different fuel economy figures, presumably due to the blend of additives that are mixed in with the 'raw' petrol. My point was that there are other influences that should be factored into the eqation before a definitive answer can be reached.
I fill up with U/L at Tesco twice weekly purely because it's the cheapest around, clubcard points, and I've got a company car and fuel card so economy checks are something that I no longer bother with. If I ever went back to paying for my own fuel in my own car then I would be dusting off my old notebook and calculator with the rest of you chaps. Aaaah, memories of my old 1.4BX come flooding back.

Gammy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

We all work out our mpg taking the milage from the speedometer which could be as much as 10% out as well. So that could mean the difference between 45mpg and 50mpg.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Speedos may not be 100% accurate but any error would be consistent so you shouldn't get variation in mpg figures.
Different driving styles, different fuel station pumps, different brands of fuel would have more of an effect.

Gammy